Exterior Brush / Roll vs Exterior Spray

Old 03-14-07, 11:57 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Folks,

If you are employing a reputable proffesional to do the above, which is best?

Is there really much difference in the longevity of Brush vs Spray? There is certainly a difference in cost quote. Paint used will be 25Yr Sherwin Williams. One contractor said that thinning was not required and it would suck straight out of the can. A neighbour told me you had to thin it to get it to spray.

And so it goes on....the pro's and con's.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-07, 01:37 PM

If you spray, you certainly should knock it down with a brush or roller if you want to get the most out of the coating.

Too many voids and incomplete contact with a spray only.

Old 03-14-07, 07:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Small pumps [sprayers] require thinning but most proffessional type airless's don't need the paint thinned for spray.

Brush, roll or spray doesn't have a generic answer. It is possible to apply a heavier coating by spraying but it is also possible to apply less and still have it look decent. Some jobs/surfaces are better for spraying than others. Generally spray jobs that are back rolled or back brushed [works the paint into the substrate] will last longer than just spraying.

When feasable I like to spray, back roll and spray again but not all jobs are suited for this.

Not all painters are created equal, this goes double for spray painting. I've had more than 1 customer leary of me spraying because of past bad experience with a not so good "painter" Big difference between spraying done right and done shoddy. Always CHECK REFERENCES before hiring out the job.

Old 03-15-07, 07:46 AM
I
Brush vs Spray

Gents,

Many thanks for your responses. I'll probably go with the spray, obviously it's cheaper. The painting contractor I'm using has a good reputation with the BBB and I have used him before on a smaller job. He will do brush / roll but I sensed he preffered to do spray as he was questioning why I wanted brush / roll and then defending the spray approach. The other quote I have, again, very good reputation, did not bat an eyelid when I told them I wanted brush / roller. They are however, a bit more pricey than the other folks.

Old 03-15-07, 10:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Labor is almost always the biggest cost on a paint job, which imo means there is no good reason to use cheap paint.

You may want to ask your spray painter if the extra cost of back brushing/rolling would be benificial. Usually it is.

Old 03-24-07, 07:10 AM
P
I'm a Painting Contractor, and I would tell you to be VERY cautious with someone who wants to spray only. It's great for cars, but not for house exteriors in most cases.

I basically always use the "two-method approach." One method (rolling, spraying) gets the product onto the surface as quickly as possible. The other method (brushing, rolling) smooths it out and works it into all the nooks and crannies.

(Now, if you have a super smooth surface (like a car, or a metal door), brush and/or roller marks are undesirable, and with proper prep spraying alone is fine. )

I find this to be the best balance of speed of application and durability of coating.

Old 06-04-13, 09:29 AM
D
Question spray/roll spray - does it equal 2 coats?

this is an old thread, but it is close to my questions. Got a painter contracted to do 2 coats of exterior painting PGP timeless.
Says he just needs a couple more days, but there appears to be a lot to do. I asked about when the 2nd coat comes in.

Story is that he does a spray, then back roll, then spray again. No time lapse between. Is this legit to be concidered 2 coats? Most cans of paint say wait 4 hours between coats.

I have not found anything solid to claim this method is legit for 2 coats. Is the painters story valid or is he cutting corners for me to have issues down the road?

Old 06-04-13, 09:44 AM
N
Forget manual labor, the tools make the job... Get a sprayer; in the right hands it provides the perfect seamless finish!

Old 06-04-13, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I don't know about the time between coats. Much would probably depend on the weather conditions and the surface being painted.

Out here (and everywhere when I've seen work by a reputable contractor), sprayed surfaces are back rolled to work the paint in. I did see a quickie job done on a house when I was in CA temporarily. 1 story rancher. Pressure washed the stucco, helper followed with a leaf blower of all things, after the PW was done they fired up the sprayer and went to work. No back rolling no nothing. Just big paint shields and a gun in the other hand. Sorry....4-6 hours to paint a house....uhhhh...not with my money.

Old 06-04-13, 04:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've stained a lot of fences and siding using the spray, back roll [brush] and spray method but never ever claimed it to be 2 coats. That is one good heavy coat. 2 coats implies 2 separate applications!

There probably isn't anything wrong with the way he is painting your house [coatings and conditions vary] and it should last longer than 1 regular coat of paint but IMO he is wrong in marketing it as 2 coats of paint.

almost forgot welcome to the forums Dia406!