vertical wood siding repair

Old 03-24-07, 10:15 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question vertical wood siding repair

We have vertical wood siding on 2 small sections of our home. The remainder of our home is brick...this is because the garage (with siding) was added on.

When my daughter was going through her soccer stage - she would kick the soccer ball against the house, so there are spots along the bottom of the siding where the wood underneath is showing.

My question: Is there an INEXPENSIVE way to repair this before it gets worse? The good news is that this is just the garage - but, eventually this will affect our home and besides, it looks terrible. My husband are not the greatest "do it yourselfers" - but we are willing to take on any project - if we can afford it.

I would appreciate any advice on this. Thanks!

Old 03-24-07, 11:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If it is true vertical wood, it is probably installed as a reverse board and batten, with wide boards attached with a space between them and a 1x2 nailed over the space. This allows for expansion of the wide panels and keeps water out. Is this what you have, or is it some other type siding?

Old 03-24-07, 12:37 PM
A
Smile

larry - first let me tell you that i'm an idiot at this stuff - so it will fairly easy for you to talk over my head - ha!

it looks as though this is some form of cheap wood (reminds me of plywood) - and was put on the house as long connected pieces, rather than board by board. in looking at it further - it seems to be pretty worn in several other areas (not just the soccer kicking level) and should probably be ripped off and replaced.

again - i would appreciate any advice as far as what material would be not only cheapest - but best. I wish i had the money to brick these 2 walls - to match the rest of the house - but, i'm fairly sure this would be more expensive than siding - right?

any help you can think of (remember, i'm elementary in this stuff) would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

johnnie

Old 03-24-07, 12:40 PM
A
larry - one more thing - it does LOOK like what you described - wider boards with thinner, connector-type boards between - but I can't tell if they are actually individual pieces or if they came in sheets of some sort - is this possible?

just noticed...

Old 03-24-07, 02:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
OK, I'll go easy. Take all the fun out of things. Are the small boards sticking out past the other wood? Or does it look like plywood with the small board looking thingys slightly indented in the plywood? You know, it wouldn't hurt for you to take a couple of digital pix of the area and wood and post them on a site like photobucket.com or others and let us see exactly what you see. We'll wait. Just have to go to work on Monday.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: