painting aluminum siding?

Old 04-05-07, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painting aluminum siding?

I'm working on restoring an old house with white aluminum siding that has faded considerably in some places. The composition of the siding is still good but it's appearance is lacking. Is it okay to paint over the siding?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-07, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Old faded aluminum siding gets painted all the time but not always correctly

I'm sure you have noticed how chalky the siding is [just rub your finger across it] If at all possible the chalk needs to be completely washed off. More than likely you won't be able to remove it all. Adding emulsa bond to the first coat of paint will aid in bonding the paint to the less than ideal surface.

You can use any color you want. I'd recomend uing a quality exterior latex house paint such as SWP's duration or super paint. Although the best looking finish is had by spraying it can be brushed [even rolled]

Old 04-09-07, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Okay, Thanks!! Is spraying paint best left for professionals or can a DIYer handle it?

Old 04-09-07, 07:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
A profesional spraying with good equipment usually gives the best result.
That isn't to say a diyer can't get good results. IMO a cheap sprayer is hard to use but if your competent with a diy sprayer you might get better results than I could with the same spray equipment.

Whenever spraying on the exterior care must be used to keep overspray off of anything you don't want it on. It is possible for the wind to carry overspray to neighboring property.

If you can't spray yourself and don't want to pay to have it done you can still get a decent job using a brush.