Rotting T111 to stucco

Old 04-11-07, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rotting T111 to stucco

I have a 2 story home where the first floor and rear area of 2nd floor are stucco. The front and half of each side overhang and are sided with T111.

My roof is flat with a slight V shape and no gutters. This sends rainwater over the sides in the middle of the roof at the lowside and over time water got behind the T111 on both sides of the home causing paint peeling and some rot which is getting worse. Plus I'm oceanfront in "sunny" California so dampness in general is a concern.

I must get the roof redone with hot tar and stone and I was thinking to just replace the T111 with stucco like the rest of the house.

It will be tough because the home sits on a sloping abutment with a difficult scaffolding ahead.

I assume the roof should be done first. Since the T111 is so bad, how do they attach the stucco? Should I replace the T111 until I get the Stucco done or would they just replace it anyway with regular ply or something so it would be a waste?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-07, 07:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
I wouldn't stucco over rotten T-111. Ideally the T-111 would be installed with flashing that would keep the water off of the wood.

If you stucco over all the T-111 you need to first replace any rotten T-111 with the appropriate size [probably 5/8"] plywood. The plywood replacement would probably need to be done prior to reroofing.

Old 05-04-07, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you don't want to ever cover over fungus/dryrot, if you ever sell the home you will have to disclose it, and if you don't and it is discovered, be prepared to purchase your home back at a profit for the seller/victim.