What is ACX plywood?

Old 04-14-07, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is ACX plywood?

What is ACX plywood? One of the books I'm looking at (about building barns and sheds) says to sheath the floor with 3/4" ACX T&G plywood. Can't figure out what the ACX is. Thanks.

Old 04-14-07, 12:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
I thought I saw marksr answer this question of yours in one of your other posts.

At any rate, here's a good explanation of the various grades that I found on the net:

Plywood grades are determined by the veneer quality on the face and back of each panel. The first letter designates quality of face veneer (best side), while the second letter denotes the surface quality of the back of the panel. The letter "X" simply indicates the panel was manufactured with exterior type adhesive.

"A" Highest grade quality available. Can be defect free or contain small knots, providing they are replaced with wooden plugs or repaired with synthetic patch. May contain occasional surface splits that are repaired with synthetic filler. Surface is always sanded and provides for smooth paintable face quality.

"B" Second highest quality veneer grade. Normally a by-product of downgraded "A" quality veneer. Solid surface, but may contain small diameter knots and narrow surface splits. Normally repaired with wooden plugs or synthetic filler. Surface normally sanded smooth.

"C" Considered to be a lower end face quality, but a reasonable choice for general construction purposes. May contain tight knots up to 1-1/2" diameter, some open knot holes, some face splits, and discoloration. Some manufactures may repair the defects with synthetic filler. Panels typically not sanded.

"D" Considered to be the lowest quality veneer and often used for the back surface for construction grade panels. Allows for several knots, large and small, as well as open knots up to 2-1/2" diameter. Open knots, splits, and discoloration are acceptable. "D" grade veneers are never repaired or sanded. Not recommended for permanent exposure to weather elements.

Most sheds would not typically have AC plywood on the floor. It would be pretty nice stuff. But it depends on how smooth you want it to be, whether you want it to be super clean when you sweep up, etc. IMO, CDX or even OSB (oriented strand board) would be fine.

Old 04-14-07, 01:01 PM
He did touch on it, but the explaination you gave was perfect. Thank you, I now fully understand.

Old 04-14-07, 01:05 PM
T
ACX uses waterproof glue. ACX is defined as follows: A high-grade, exterior plywood, with an A side and a C side; the A side has a higher-grade of laminate, and fewer voids or blemishes.

Old 06-28-13, 07:09 AM
D
Application

I am building a 60X48X16 garage workshop. Would this be a good wall covering for the first 8'? The second 8' will be white metal or should I continue to use ACX? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 06-28-13, 10:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Welcome to the forums Dr.V8!

Inside or exterior wall covering? ACX should be fine but so would some of the cheaper alternatives.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: