Siding is buckling and sagging

Old 04-16-07, 04:50 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Siding is buckling and sagging

We bought this house almost 4 years ago, and through those years the siding has been sagging a little more each year. It is only on the sunniest side of the house. I am not sure if it has to do with heat, weather changes, bad job to begin with, etc.... I have tried pushing it in to try and make it lock it to the others but no good results. How do I fix this?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-07, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 566 Votes on 519 Posts
I imagine your siding was installed by shoddy installers that either did not pull the siding up tight in the first place, or perhaps the siding is not nailed to a solid surface, (the studs) or, depending on the type of sheathing, they may have nailed into sheathing that does not hold nails well.

You probably need to remove and reinstall a large area of siding if you are having problems getting it to lock up in place.

Old 04-16-07, 04:02 PM
Wink

Im with XSleeper
I think it was a bad bad job when they put it up. It takes a lot of nails to hold it up and not tight so it can move. You say on the sunny side You might mark it and just see have far it moves when the sun gets on it. Can be its to long also for when the sun comes out. take it all down and redo it . Thats the best bet Id say

Old 04-16-07, 05:04 PM
My question to you is, when you tried to snap the siding up and back together, did you use a siding tool ? Let us know.

Old 04-17-07, 07:19 AM
R
Have not used tools

No I did not use any tools because this all new to me. The house we lived in before was brick. So the siding that I take down, can I put the same up or does it need to be new? And how do I do this, or can it be fixed with a specific tool?

Old 04-17-07, 10:07 AM
Wink

I think Id start from the top and take it down. Then see if you can use it all and put it up right. Can by it is to long first .Not snaped in as it should be. more nails in it but not tight so it can float. Yes there is a tool to use for this

Old 04-17-07, 12:21 PM
W
Removing (and installing) vinyl siding is a snap. A siding tool (cheap at HD) makes it easier but you can do without it. You are less likely to damage any siding using a tool. The object should be to fix this without breaking any pieces. If necessary, lay them out in order as you remove them so you don't have to fudge around later when putting them back.

I would remove a couple of rows just to see what's going on. If it is sagging as you describe, some of the nails must be pulling. If it is just buckling it has probably become unsnapped. If it is bulging when the sun is on it, the nails are probably too tight.

As previously posted, vinyl moves a lot with temperature. It should be nailed through the sheathiing into studs. The nails shouldn't be driven home. They should stand proud enough to let the siding move laterally.

Google the Vinyl Siding Institute. Lots of info on installing siding.

Old 06-01-07, 02:05 PM
D
Before removing the siding and reinstalling it I would also consider the possibility of a rotten sill plate or some other foundation issue. Buckling vinyl siding or sagging vinyl siding can be a major sign of a foundation that is collapsing for one reason or another. Let me ask, is there a slight bulge or a lean flaring out towards the bottom of the exterior wall?

Good luck,

Anthony