stone siding recommendations

Old 04-26-07, 10:25 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi to all. I'd like some advice on how to put a stone facade/siding on the house. The base of my house has about two feet of concrete from the ground - I'm assuming is the foundation - surrounding the bottom of the siding which wraps around the house. I'd like to cover cover the concrete face with a stone facade. I dont want to use faux stone. Do I have to do any preparation to the side ie: prewash? And in terms of using cement to attach the stones to the wall, is there anything I should know? The pattern I want to use is a loose amorphous configuration. nothing symetrical and rectangular.

Any advice, suggestions, links on how to start?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-07, 06:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

If you are going to use natural stone, it will be thicker and heavier. This si a veneer and the veneer must be supported by either a concrete or steel angle "ledge" or by other masonry that goes all the way down to your fooling. You must also use "wall ties" that are attached to the house and extend into the mortar joints.

If you use cultured stone, this refered to an adhered veneer. Because of the weight and thickness, it can be adhered to the house with a mortar that is appropriate to the type of cultured stone. The stone manufacturers have detailed instructions, but no "ledge" is rerquired for an adhered veneer.

Dick