another question on painting vinyl siding!!

Old 04-30-07, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
another question on painting vinyl siding!!

Hello.I have decided to paint my vinyl siding and have so far done all the prep work (cleaned) now I have 2 questions...1.Is priming necessary? 2. Is there a certain temperature that is best? I also heard the temperature has to stay pretty constant for the paint to "dry properly",Im in northern Canada,the days are nice but in the evenings it starts to get a bit cool.So in other words should I wait till closer to summer?
Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-07, 05:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
How cool does it get in the evening? As long as it stays above freezing it may be ok, especially if you quit well before dark.

No primer is neccesary when painting vinyl however the vinyl needs to be clean. It is a good idea to add emulsa bond to paint. Because vinyl is temp rated you are supposed only use the same [or lighter] color when painting. SWP has a new line of latex paint for vinyl that is supposed to be safe to paint vinyl darker but I have not used any.

Old 04-30-07, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi again.It doesnt get below zero so I should be safe,as for the color thing,the color now is chocolate brown and I picked a similar one except it has a tint of red in it,will that be o.k?Thanks

Old 05-01-07, 06:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Yes that should be ok, the problems come when you change a light color vinyl to a dark color. I forgot to add earlier that sometimes there may be problems if you paint vinyl when it's real cold and then that vinyl gets real warm before the paint has time to dry. The same is true for painting real warm vinyl that gets cold before it dries.