Carriage House -- What Material to re-side with?

Old 05-19-07, 05:10 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carriage House -- What Material to re-side with?

Our garage was originally a carriage house, built about 100 years ago. It has a wood horizontal siding that I think is called "drop" siding. This is made of boards which have an overlapping tab to prevent rain from going between the boards.

Unfortunately, after a century, things are not so good. The boards have shrunk to the point where many do not overlap any more. There are several places where patches have been made which do not look consistant with the older boards, and some new places which need repair after being hit by car or cars unknown.

Another problem is that because this is an unheated garage and was built before all the moisture barrier issues were known, the wood is exposed to the damp air inside the garage and paint will not stick to it.

My first thought was patch up whats there, caulk, and repaint, but I really don't want to have to keep messing with it, so I am now leaning more and more towards vinyl siding.

Here are some questions board members might help me answer --

1. Should I take the existing boards off and start with new sheathing from scratch, or can the old siding be used as backing?
2. Should a vapor barrier be used?
3. Would an environment with high moisture INSIDE work with vinyl siding?
4. The carriage house is 2 stories tall with the hay loft now being used for storage, and the first for the car, lawnmower, etc. Are there any issues with fire ratings with vinyl siding in this environment?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-07, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would take off all the old siding. Then sheet your building with 1/2" OSB, and then I would put house wrap on the building and then vinyl siding. You will have anice looking building when your done.