Painting over 100% Silicone Caulking - HELP!

Old 05-19-07, 10:30 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Painting over 100% Silicone Caulking - HELP!

Hello,

I had someone put up exterior siding on my office. They told me to get Silicone Caulking but never told me to make sure it's paintable. IT"S NOT! Now I have a mess! I called GE hotline (they are the makers of GE SideGuard) to see if there is any work around to be able to paint over the 100% silicone caulking. They said there is not.

I read in a post on this forum (can't find it now) that someone suggested wiping it with Mineral Spirits and then priming with alkyd paint. If that is a viable solution then why is it that all the paint companies I am calling including the makers of the Silicone are saying it can't be done. I need to know because I have spent all day scraping out the caulking from the seems but there is so much more and it's turning into a nigthmare.

I was also told that it may work to place a paintable silicone over the 100% silicone.

The best solution for me is if there is a way to paint a primer on the caulking and have it hold up on the exterior without peeling. I also heard about Zimeer primer paint but their site doesn't say anything about painting over silicone.

I would appreciate help.

Thanks

Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-07, 04:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 263 Posts
Welcome to the forums Ron

It is never a good idea to paint over silicone but when you must, coat it with a pigmented shellac primer [like zinnser's BIN] may take 2 coats. Paint will then stick to the primer. Any movement of the caulk may cause the paint to crack and peel. Best bet is to remove the silicone and replace with a paintable caulk.