Cutting asbestos siding

Old 05-27-07, 05:48 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting asbestos siding

Could anyone tell me how to cut asbestos siding??? I understand the precautions to take for the hazardous dust, I just can not find info on what type of saw and/or blade to use...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-07, 06:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Circular saw with a 7" masonry blade. I hope you do understand fully how to do this, a the dust created won't only affect you, but homes around you, so tenting the area will be necessary.

Old 05-27-07, 06:08 PM
Exclamation cutting creates dust

If you are removing the asbestos siding, I wouldn't cut it with a saw. I would find another way to to remove it by breaking it with a jaws of life type machine. Breaking it would not produce dust and the fibers would stay in the siding. Manually folding the siding or prying is the safest...

Old 05-27-07, 06:46 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've always used this old time paper-like cutter tool that was loaned to me at old-time lumber yards where I got the asbestos siding at. It cuts it like a paper cutter. Also, it has a hole punch on it to make new nail holes.

Old 05-27-07, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
The tool ecman51` is referring to is illustrated in a tutorial on GAF's website that contains instructions for installing their WeatherSide fiber-cement siding, which is often identical to the old styles of asbestos siding that were used years ago.

Their installation instructions, in PDF format, contain an illustration of the cutter which does indeed resemble and work a bit like a paper cutter, or paper punch. Our local lumber yard used to have one until someone apparently borrowed it and never returned it. Thanks, whoever you are.

Using this tool which cleanly breaks the siding, and punches holes in it will still create a bit of hazardous dust, but is more friendly than just cutting it with a segmented masonry blade and a grinder or skilsaw which would obviously put a lot more dust in the air.

Old 05-28-07, 08:23 AM
J
Asbestos siding

Thanks to all of you! The reason I need to use some type of saw is that I need to cut a piece into an L-shape. Therefore, scoring and breaking like a tile cutter will not work for my application.

Chandler, you said tent off the area, can you just wet the dust w/ a spray bottle to sink the dust???

Old 05-28-07, 04:35 PM
I know the kind of siding your talking about. It has low levels of asbestos in it. I would wear a dust mask. You will just be making what I call a small cut.
I would use a jig saw with a fine blade. You might need several blades, since they dull quiclky. Draw your cut line, then put some cutting oil on it and get to sawing. We do it all the time. Be very carefull, since this type of siding has a history of breaking easily. Good Luck.

Old 05-31-07, 10:57 AM
Talking Got carried away!

LOL! Sorry about that. I thought you wanted to rip it off the house and cut it up instead of adjusting it for your home improvement work. Good Luck!

Old 06-09-07, 01:05 PM
L
Red face Cutting Asbestos

Hi There,

This is not really a reply but more of a related question...is there a way to cut asbestos siding in place in order to fix a small part or replace one shingle?

Thanks bunches.

LBAdams