Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Black Walnut Tree!! Worth Anything to Lumber MILLS???????

Old 06-03-07, 10:11 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts

I just had my spruce and black walnut cut down on saturday. They were both around 70ft. tall. A tree surgeon came in and cut them down. My dad asked the local lumber mill manager who he knows to see if it was worth anything. They said probably atleast 1000 dollars. They would have to do a metal test to see if there is any metal in it?! Anyone with any info please post. I plan on taking a picture of it so maybe I will post back later today with the picture. It is around 25ft. long and around 3 to 4 ft across at the stump end of the tree. Near the 23ft mark there are around 3 limbs that grow off the top. My dad told me a story the lumber guy told him. He picked up a tree and paid the guy 8k and made around 16k off of it. Thanks!!

Old 06-03-07, 10:34 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
So it's straight with no branches coming off for more than 20'? If so, I'd bet it's worth a lot more than 1K. Any other mills around so you can start a bidding war?

Old 06-03-07, 02:57 PM
I do wanna contact a couple where I live. I live about 30 miles south from where my parents and that other lumber mill is. They don't wanna come down for just one tree b/c of the price of gas. But if I start calling around I am worried people will just come and pick it up when we are not home!! That would suck. I would like to talk to some mills that I trust and know they wouldn't steal it. I hate thinking this way but the way things are now a days.
I am not getting my hopes up but a good 3k would be great right now!! We have another little one on the way and a big bathroom project we wanna get done before he/she comes. (jan 10)
If I was to get that much or realy anything would I have to claim it on my income tax?????

Old 06-03-07, 05:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
You might also talk to some cabinet makers or basically any custom wood shop.

You would probably need to pay tax on a portion of it. You would deduct any costs - tree surgeon and possibly a small portion of what you paid for the property. Anything other than the tree surgeon bill would likely need a tax expert to figure.

Old 06-03-07, 06:15 PM
Ok, I have off all week for vacation and I think it will take that long working on cleaning up the mess. I had the trees cut down but they wanted another 150 to clean up!! I was like I'll save myself the money and do it myself. I will call around this week to see what they say.
The whole tax thing, well I paid cash!!!! OOPS!!! I had another 10 stumps I wanted ground and that wasn't in the bid contract so he said for 525 I'll do the other 10 if you pay cash!! I said OK!! Some of the stumps aren't small either. Thanks for the info!! Can't wait to see if I get any money out of it!! Thanks

Old 06-04-07, 01:30 PM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Log

What is the diameter of the log at the small end?

Old 06-04-07, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lumber MILLS???????

Take a few digital pictures AFTER you have done some clean-up.

Measure the circumference at 5 or 10' intervals to provide information for the potential buyer.

Contact lumber dealers, lumber yards and cabinet makers to determine who might be interested.

Contact interested parties with the information you have available.

Forget about the taxes now. That is a good problem to address later.

Dick

Old 06-04-07, 04:05 PM
J
The short answer is.......black walnut is worth its' weight in gold, but it may cost the guy taht is harvesting it more than it is worth. Don't expect the gold mine.

Old 06-05-07, 04:43 AM
DIY, how close to Jasper Co. Miss. are you located? I would love to slice up a tree like that after running my metal detector over it. I have a nice spot in my barn's hay loft for it to air dry, right up there next to the pecan and cedar which I lost to Katrina.

Old 06-20-07, 07:03 PM
Smile

Sorry for the no posts!! I didn't get sh%t for it!! I had it hauled away for free by the guy that cut it down!!!!! I was pis*ed. I had 2 lumber mill people come and said well for them to come pick up one log they would have to deduct in gas so I would have gotten around 1k to 1500 but they didn't wanna come get it!! There were a couple of defects in the bark from where there used to be branches that came off the tree about 40 to 50 yrs ago. The crotch or first branch on the tree was only 10 to 15 ft. off the ground!! That is where they would stop!! I didn't understand that but what ever. I called 13 places and all of them said can I get it to them!!!!!! UMMMM NOOOOO!! It was freaken HUGE!! I should have taken a pic of it!
Anyway I told the guy that came to pick it up MERRY CHRISTMAS! He was like what does that mean. I said listen, I know your going to get money out of it. May not be 3k, 5k, 10k, but I know it is worth something. It would be respectful if you got 1k for it to give me 500 back( that is what it cost to get 2 trees cut down their stumps ground, roots ground and about 10 other small stumps around the yard). He said "I, I, I don't think I'll get anything for it"!! I was like CMON you and I both know you are.

So for all that trouble I was like screw it. It isn't worth the money!! All I know is that the stump made GREAT bark to put around my new shed!!! Smells great too!!!!! Thanks for all the info!!!
Hey thiggy!! WANT ME TO GET A QUOTE FOR S/H!!!! LOL

Old 06-21-07, 04:27 AM
DIY, I understand your frustration. Losing my 100 year-old Pecan orchard to Katrina is what got me into the sawmilling business. My wife could not stand the thought of just bulldozing those big old trees into piles and burning them, so we went to the Ag Expo in Moultrie Ga. and purchased a portable bandsaw mill. Of course, I will never break even and I would not ever use $8000 (cost of mill)worth of pecan lumber in my lifetime. But at least now my wife is satisfied that the pecan wasn't destroyed. Now she is spending time thinking up projects for me to make with the wood, as well as sharing it with her woodworking buddies.

Old 07-22-07, 08:39 PM
J
Walnut trees are hardly ever worth the gold people think they are. The biggest money is in one that is veneer quality.

It is really rare to have one or two trees growing by their selves and be a high value tree. In city and park enviroments they get too much light as they grow and get a lot of limbs and I almost guarantee they get hit with a lawn mower a lot at ground level. This results in injury to the bark and eventual dead centers in the log. These types of trees are really nothing more than funny smelling fire wood.

To grow high dollar walnuts you need to start young and prune lower branches and "V" notches as soon as possible. Also protect the tree from mechanical damage, nails, other trees falling, vehicle and mower damage. It is also important to plant many many trees all at the same time so they shade each other and encourage fast, tall, and straight growth from the crown and not branching out like park trees.

If you really have a thousand dollar tree it's silly to give it away. There are ways to load that on to a car trailor or other small trailor to haul it with chains and levers if that's all you have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: