Any aluminum soffit tricks?

Old 06-03-07, 10:38 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any aluminum soffit tricks?

I'm putting up dark brown aluminum fascia. The fascia I put up last year on the end gable seems to buckle pretty bad in the hot sun. I have to put the rest of the fascia up this year and thought maybe someone had a trick on how to put up fascia so it would buckle as much. Maybe pre drill the nail holes in the aluminum a little bigger than the nail to gave it just a little more room to move? Maybe getting the aluminum fascia hot in the sun so its already expanded before I put it up? Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-07, 11:45 AM
The only time I have ever seen metal fascia buckle is when it is not put up tight. Make sure it is up tight under your style D or metal roof edge, predrill the holes and put in the nails. Always start at one end and work toward the other making sure it is smooth and tight as you go. One nail about every 18".
Good Luck

Old 06-03-07, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Prebent fascia cover has ribs that help to stiffen the fascia cover, while fascia cover made from aluminum trim coil on a metal break needs something else to keep it from rippling- a hem or slight bend near the top... or you can buy the expensive "brake buddy" system, which can roll a ribbed profile into anything you bend.

Regardless of which type of fascia cover you use, it can buckle if you push the ends up tight leaving the middle to bow down. Often this will become more pronounced in the sun, especially with dark metal. As you've noted, it can have something to do with the nails being tight, which might indicate something about the temperature at which it was installed, compared with how hot it can get in the sun! The best solution I have found is to eliminate "face nailing" completely, or at least as much as humanly possible. By bending a custom made finish trim that has a hem inside it and installing that first, you can create a place for the fascia to slip into. By punching notches in the top edge of the fascia, the fascia will "click" into this finish trim and will not come out. Then the fascia can be siliconed (optional- works well in high wind areas) to the fascia and/or kept in place with a few nails or screws installed vertically up through the bottom edge of the fascia. Fasteners placed in the bottom edge of the fascia usually eliminate buckling of the face altogether.

Old 06-03-07, 01:34 PM
G
When I bent this coil stock, I put a double bend on the leg, or the 1" peice that goes over the soffit to hold it up. That 1" leg is double thickness, I thought maybe that would help too. I was told to put a slight bend on the leg end of the metal and just push it against the soffit till it touches. You want me to push the metal tightly against the soffit, then nail or screw it up into the soffit side?