Painting Slate Siding

Old 06-09-07, 08:52 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Slate Siding

We have a house with white slate siding. Some of it is dull, dirty and has mold growing on it. We have a church group that has volunteered to paint the house to make it look birghter. What process would you recommend as far as cleaning, primer? and what type of paint? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ew

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-07, 03:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums!

Are you sure it is slate? sounds more like asbestos siding [big hard white shingles]

First the siding must be cleaned. Use a bleach water solution [about 50-50] After wetting the house spray the bleach solution on the siding with a pump up garden sprayer, let set but rinse before it dries. Be sure to protect plants from the bleach. A pressure washer will speed up the job but care must be used to not damage the siding or force water where it don't belong

No primer is needed but if there is any chalk on the surface [white stuff that gets on your fingers when wiping them across siding] you will either need to apply a coat of oil base primer or add emulsa bond to the first coat of latex house paint.

Old 06-10-07, 08:18 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Is it slate or is it memorex. . .i mean asbestos?

Thanks for your reply. . . I am new to all of this. We were told it was slate but they are large white rectangles. When I have picked up broken pieces they make a noise like clay pot pieces. That is why I really thought they were slate, but you are probably right. Thanks for the info and have a great week!

ew