aluminum wrap on window trim

Old 06-16-07, 04:20 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
aluminum wrap on window trim

I am in need of some templates for wrapping my windows in aluminum. I have access to a brake but have no idea of where to go now. My neighbor showed me the basic operation of the brake. I'm thinking that if I had some templates (like what a cardboard box looks like flattened out before it is all folded up) I might be able to figure the rest out.
I put 2X4s around the windows as the trim. No fancy angles or funky stuff. Just straight box like.

Thanks

Old 06-16-07, 05:32 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Covering Trim

Cut some short pieces and experiment with the measuremnts until you work out the details. Good luck.

Old 06-16-07, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
Ken's got the right idea for someone that's never done it before. It's not rocket science, so if you just play with some scraps you will get it figured out.

Maybe your neighbor has explained this to you, but I'll just mention a few things I do that perhaps will help.

Roll the coil out in the grass or on a piece of plywood or cardboard- it's less likely to get marked up that way. There's a guy in town that rolls his coil out on the driveway- I just shake my head when I see him! LOL

I cut my trim coil by scoring it with a sharp utility knife. I lay a framing square on the coil, lining the short end of the square up with the edge of the coil so as to make a square cut. Then score the coil with the knife once- pressing firmly on the knife. Then just bend the coil up into the air- it should crease where you scored it. Bend it back and forth a few times if needed, but if your knife was sharp it should break cleanly.

I measure the width of the window trim and cut one rip that is that long, then cut another rip for the height of the window trim.

Usually you make your marks (I make my marks like v's so as to know "exactly" where to place the metal in the jaws of the break) on the back side of the trim coil. I use an 8" tri-square to take and make measurements. So if you were wrapping a 2x4, you'd be making a shape like this: [

So you'd make a mark at 1 1/2, another at 5, and another at 6 1/2. You'd stick the trim coil in the break at the 6 1/2" mark and you'd score it and break it off. Then it's just a matter of bending the coil to the desired shape. You will want to bend the metal slightly farther than 90 degrees, but not much farther. If you don't bend it slightly more than 90, you might get some ripples when you nail it on.

Bending flaps with a hand seamer is often advisable. And you'll want a nice pair of tin snips. And you'll want aluminum or stainless steel trim nails that are painted the appropriate color.

Here's a pic I made, maybe it will help you visualize what to do:
Sorry if the 3-D isn't perfect.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thexsleeper/detail?.dir=53b3&.dnm=d6b0re2.jpg

Old 06-16-07, 02:56 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank you

Xsleeper:
Your jpg was exactly what I was looking for. I've finished up my first window ( 5 hours later) it's not pretty but on the back side of the house.
Thank you very much.
I'll go with your templates from here on out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: