Where to nail aluminum fascia?

Old 06-16-07, 04:17 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to nail aluminum fascia?

I'm putting up dark brown aluminum fascia and want to have less waves as possible. Two people already told me two differant things, one said pre-drill the fascia first and only nail through the leg to prevent waves, never on the face, except for overlaps. Another one said never nail in the leg, only nail on the face. Any ideas on who's right?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-07, 05:20 PM
We always nail up through the leg, through the soffitt and into the fascia board. We usually drill a small hole first. The brown aluminum nails have a bad habit of bending. Metal is too soft. However, 2 weeks ago I ran across some brown steel nails. I bought all the store had. Now we do not have to pre-drill. Have a good day. To avoid wrinkles, start nailing at one end only and smooth it out as you go, making sure it is up tight, and nailing as you go.
If you start nailing from both ends, you will get wrinkles.

Old 06-17-07, 04:59 AM
G
I double bent the leg on the aluminum fascia to make it a little stronger. How far apart should I nail, every 2-3 feet? The fascia I already put up I nailed through the face, didn't drive the nail home, but I have waves everytime the sun hits it and it gets really hot. I'm glad the gutter hide most of it, nothing I can do now. The fascia I'm putting up now runs up the front, back, and gable ends. I want to get that as smooth as I can, nothing will be hiding these peices. I'll pre-drill and nail through the leg, we'll see how that works. Thanks..............

Old 06-17-07, 06:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 645 Votes on 597 Posts
In addition to predrilling and nailing up through the bottom, you can also make your own finish trim (essentially a double bend) for the top to slip into. If this finish trim is about 1" wide. and the interior hem is about 3/8", it leaves a 5/8 space inside the finish trim. This allows you to punch the top edge of the fascia so that when you stick it up into the finish trim, it will "clip" itself into the finish trim and won't come out. No face nails are usually required.

Some people also will run a bead of silicone on the back of the fascia cover before installing it, which also makes it fairly permanent. Depending where you run the bead of caulk, that can also prevent rippling.

Even when nailing up into the bottom of the fascia cover, you need to be very careful to avoid overdriving the nails. And obviously one slip of the hammer and you've dented the fascia.