J-Channel Weep holes

Old 06-21-07, 08:35 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
J-Channel Weep holes

Installation manuals advise to drill 1/8" weep holes every 24" in J-Channel that is used as a starter strip, ie: on a deck or a porch. But what about above a porch roof line, or on the gable bottoms. I would assume you would need them there as well. One of my gables has a sloping roof line, would I drill the bottom of this channel as well? Am I also to assume that anywhere a J-channel is in the horizontal position and can accumulate water, it should be drilled?

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-07, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Just FYI, in my experience and from what I was taught an 1/8" hole does not work well as a weep hole because it is too small due to the skin tension of the water. A 3/16" hole that is oblong will work better. You only need weep holes in the j-channel if it is a long piece of horizontal j-channel that is used as a starter. The idea is that in the wintertime, you don't want 1/2" of water standing inside a drooping j-channel that will then freeze and possibly crack the bottom of the j-channel.

At the bottom of a gable end that has a flat roof below it, you would want weep holes in the j-channel, because just as you have defined it, it is a horizontal j-channel that is used as a starter.

But you do not need weep holes on a J that slopes down a roofline (j-channel is sloped) or over a window (weep holes look bad and water will run off the ends anyway).

Old 06-21-07, 03:53 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks again for the info.

Kevin