How to Match 1950's shake-style composite siding

Old 06-24-07, 02:14 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Match 1950's shake-style composite siding

I own a house, built in 1950, with shake-style siding. The "shakes" appear to be made from a composite material (not wood). Approx. 10% of the siding has deteriorated and needs to be replaced, so I need to find a shake-style siding that matches the existing siding -- at least an approximate match.

One possibility would be to buy cedar shakes of the same approximate size as the existing siding shakes. The surface pattern/texture wouldn't match, but they'll be painted the same color so this might be good enough.

A better solution (cosmetically) would be to use composite-material shakes similar to the ones used in 1950. Are shakes of this style still available (without the asbestos content, of course)? Which manufacturers make them?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-07, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Do any of the styles pictured at the following web site match your style of siding? http://www.gaf.com/Content/GAF/RES1/ROOF/RS_WeatherSide.html

If not, I'm not familiar with the style of siding you are referring to. Maybe a description of the exact size of the siding, such as the lap exposure and width of the individual pieces would help us picture it. Or upload a digital picture to a file sharing web site and paste the link to the pics here so we could have a look.

Old 06-27-07, 07:40 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks to XSleeper

Yes, the fiber-cement product looks like the right stuff. Thank you for the information!