vinyl siding

Old 06-25-07, 03:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vinyl siding

i am installing vinyl siding and i am using polar wrap fan fold insulation under, i was wondering does anyone know if this insulation needs to cover the complete gable end or does it just run up to the top plate just wondering since attic space usually is not insulated

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-07, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
The purpose of fanfold is not so much to insulate as it is for creating a flat surface for the vinyl siding to nail to. Fanfold's R-value is negligible, especially when people do not tape the seams (I recommend you use a housewrap tape on all seams to make the fanfold more weather resistant). So since I assume you are installing it over existing lap siding, the answer would be YES- you install it all the way up to the peak because you want to create a flat surface all the way up to the peak for your vinyl siding to nail to.

Old 06-25-07, 05:42 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank you xsleeper this is a project i wished was already completed (going on 6 months) working all by myself so some times u hit a stump and dont know whether to dig it up or jump it the info was very helpful

Old 06-25-07, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
You're welcome! Yes, some projects are like that, they have a way of dragging on and on. Feel free to ask for more advice anytime.