Hardie Plank Siding - Should I cut costs on the trim?

Old 06-26-07, 02:52 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardie Plank Siding - Should I cut costs on the trim?

We're going to get the pre-painted Hardie Plank siding put on our house and we're having a very difficult time keeping this within a reasonable budget. Although my husband and I are big DIYers, this is not a project we want to take on ourselves -- in addition to installing the Hardie Plank, the project includes stripping 2 layers of siding off the house then redoing the whole thing with Hardie Plank.

So here's my question...
What should we use for trim? The overwhelming consenus from the contractors we've talked to is that Azek is the way to go. But I've also had some recommend simply wrapping the trim in pvc-coated aluminum. I'm not too keen on the idea of having the trime wrapped, but bottom line is that it's a heck of a lot cheaper. In fact I just talked to the contractor that I want to use to see how we could knock the price down and by simply swapping the pvc/alum wrap for Azek trim, the cost dropped $3100.

It's a big savings that gets us right into our budget range, but I still have doubts about making that tradeoff. Would the pvc/alum wrapped trime look okay next to Hardie plank? Or would this be a huge mistake?

Any opinions are appreciated.

Old 06-26-07, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 937 Votes on 855 Posts
Another option would be Miratec trim, which is not as pricy as Azek. It works well with fiber cement and can be painted the same color.

I would recommend you go with a paintable trim, because if they would happen to do a shoddy aluminum capping job, it would make your new siding look bad.

Azek does cost a small fortune.

Old 06-27-07, 05:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree, Miratek also has a 20 year warranty, and is easy to work with.

Old 06-27-07, 08:46 AM
D
I wasn't familiar with Miratec, but after looking into it, this might be just the thing to make the trim look good and keep the price down. I noticed Miratec also offers a prepainted version (with a 15-year warranty on the paint, just like Hardie). I really like the sound of that. Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-27-07, 10:44 AM
D
So my last siding contractor just came out (we're making our final decision as soon as we get his bid) and when I mentioned Miretec to him, he said it's not nearly as good as Azek and that the prices between the 2 products are almost the same now.

I think the worst part of this whole process is how much conflicting info I get from the contractors. Use Azek. Use Hardie trim. Use pvc coil. Augh. I guess they all have their favorite products, but it's just confusing the heck out of me!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: