Removing siding

Old 06-30-07, 12:25 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Removing siding

We just recently bought a house in the Lancaster Pa area. It seems to have wonderful looking brick underneath horrible old siding. What would be the best way to remove this old siding?? Is it something that we are able to do? We need to get a contractor to do it?? How much would a job like this cost?? It is the last home in a row of several and the siding is on only 3 sides. HELP!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-07, 12:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
If it's a brick house, I would just think that there MUST be some reason the previous owners put siding over it. Why anyone would do that is beyond me?!?

At any rate, I would assume that the siding is installed on top of vertical 1x4 furring, or similar, that has been nailed, glued or screwed onto the brick. So once the siding is removed, you will likely have a lot of vertical furring that is still attached to the brick. Depending on the manner used to fasten it, you will either have a lot of holes in the brick and mortar to repair... or there may even be a lot of glue that would be practically impossible to remove.

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament, but you might want to do a little investigating first before you jump into this project. Tearing off would be the easy part and you could certainly do that yourself.