WoodPecker Problem. & "Terror-Eyes" Product For ?

Old 07-14-07, 04:17 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
WoodPecker Problem. & "Terror-Eyes" Product For ?

Hello,

Anyone ever use that "Terror-Eyes" product to try and keep woodpeckers away from Cedar siding on the house ?
It's that inflatable balloon, with the big Holographic eyes.

Any suggestions on what to do or use to keep them away would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 07-14-07, 04:50 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not sure the woodpecker is your problem.

A woodpecker pecks wood to reach food. It is not for recreation. If they are pecking the wood, I would suggest they have found a food source in or behind the siding.

at least that is what I understand about woodpeckers.

If that is the case, you would be better served by removing the food source, which itself, could be damaging to your house.

Old 08-01-07, 07:14 AM
Wood Pecker

I was just reading through as I have the same problem. It is confined to the North East Corner of the rambler that we just moved into in Lake Elmo Minnesota.
As far as I know, we do not have termites up here.
What other "food source" might the woodpeckers be dining on within my walls?
How do I inspect for the source? We have not noticed any inxect intrusion in the home at the level of the woodpecker problem - about 12 feet in the air on the corner of the house. This corner is in the shade for the better part of the day as it faces East, and there are woods about twenty feet away that block the moning sun.
We have a pond out back (to the North) and the previous owner fed birds in the back yard.
I did notice the peck marks after we moved in in February, but only in the past month or so have I whitnessed the pecking.
Thanks, Brian

Old 08-01-07, 08:42 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Carpenter Bee Larve are a favorite food source for WoodPeckers. Look to see if you have any tell tale signs that there may be Bees living in the wood. They usually bore in from behind where the wood is not painted. They crawl behind the siding. But they leave a brownish residue under their burrows as they clean them out. You sometimes can see these trails on the siding of your house. The woodpeckers will help control them, but they are rather poor housekeepers. YIKES!

Check back and let us know what you find.

Old 08-01-07, 06:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
And a little fiction and fact from Chandler's almanac.....Carpenter bee holes are exactly .500 in diameter. Stick a 1/2" drill bit in them, and see. Another thing, just to prove Divine intervention, the carpenter bee lays her larvae from the end of her burrow back to the opening. BUT, the one nearest the opening hatches first. Sort of backwards, but it works.
Anyway, I bet on carpenter bees first, then the woodpecker is just enjoying the spoils, as well as tearing up your house.

Old 08-02-07, 06:30 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Further facts for those interested. Male carpenter bees do not have a stinger. All they can do is intimidate you, which is why they will buzz you at eye level. You can distringuish the male carpenter bee from the female by the fact that the male has a yellow dot on its head, the female has an all black head. However, sometimes the female will rub pollen on its head (thus producing a yellow dot), and mimic the antics of the male. To the unsuspecting person, you may get stung if she is protecting her nest.

If you kill the female, plugging the holes will not fix a carpenter bee problem. The larvae at still there and when they hatch, they will simply bore a new hole to exit. The infested boards need to be replaced to correct the problem. Prime and paint BOTH sides before replacement. The best defense is a well painted house. For cronic problems, I recommend replacement of trim boards with expanded PVC trim (such as Azek).

There is a insecticide that you can put in the holes. It is in a powder form. The theory is that when the larvae hatch, they walk through the powder and it gets them. I would rather just get rid of the wood and replace than wait and see if the powder works or not.

If you want to see if a female is home, just "knock".....Hit the wood with a hammer and she will freak out inside her burrow. You can hear the buzzing of her wings.

Old 08-09-07, 03:34 PM
The Woodpecker

Czizzi & Chandler
Thanks for the info.
It makes sense, as one day a few weeks ago I did hear a buzzing in the kitchen which I could not isolate. I went outside and looked for behive evidence or any trace of the bee, but could not find anything. My siding is similar to panelling, in that there are raised sections of the boards seperated by 1 inch gaps or grooves that bees could possibly crawl into and find a place to burrow from the top down. Or maybe they are coming in from the bottom.
The woodpecker has been pecking into the siding way up towards the top.
Obviously I need to keep the bees from getting into the siding in the first place. Is it OK to seal up the bottom edge? I'm concerned that if water were to ever get into the siding, sealing the bottom edge would serve to trap it and keep the siding from breathing. Are my concerns valid. We once had a house with a mold problem, and I may be a bit overcautious because of that.
Should I seal up the tops as well - the grooves between the raised sections of the siding. That is an area that I'm thinking maybe bees are going up into and then burrowing down from there.
There are no obvious signs of bee activity (no 1/2 inch holes or trails of brown that I can see - of course the siding is brown, so it might not be easy to discern)
Finally, how urgent is it that I fix this? I'm in the middle of three other major projects - a major kitchen remodel involving all new cabinets, flooring, lots of sheetrock, and moving walls as well as adding a new bathroom, and remodelling another bath. I may have gotten in a bit over my head and I just can't think of doing one more project this year.
Thanks for your reply.
Brian

Old 08-09-07, 03:52 PM
T
Woodpeckers do drum to attract mates. They often drum gutters, sides of houses, and trees. They also drum to find insects. The carpenter bee is one of the most common problems on wood siding, especially that which is not painted.

A friend of mine has a cedar home. Woodpeckers did extensive damage searching for carpenter bees. When she told me about the drumming, I told her to call an exterminator. She instead called a friend to repair the damage. I asked if he puffed powdered insecticide into the openings before sealing. She replied that he had not. Next season the woodpeckers returned and the damage was even more extensive, most of which was just above the front entry.

If you currently have a problem with carpenter bees, spray the sides of the house with residual insecticide in garden sprayer and puff powdered insecticide into openings. You can use Delta, Drione, Sevin, or other. There are also aerosols for spraying into chambers. The problem is getting the insecticide as far back into tunnels as needed. At least with powder, should bees travel through it, they will get it on them. Wait a few days before you plug the holes, as you want to make sure that as they exit that they get the powder on them. If you have a severe infestation, wait two weeks and repeat with spray and powder before plugging holes. Males that continue to hover around the house can be given a shot of aerosol insecticide. I've been told a tennis racket is quite effective for knocking them down.

The best time to spray for prevention is in early spring before carpenter bees get busy wanting to nest in your siding. They get the itch to look for a home in late spring, so spray early to keep carpenter bees at bay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: