House Painting.

Old 07-16-07, 10:23 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
House Painting.

I started getting quotes from some local places and the prices seem extremely high to me. My house is 90% brick. I want everythign that is currently painted white repainted. So far I have one quote and I was quoted $2,415 which My self and everyone I have talked to believe is insane. They are wanting $2,150 in labor alone. Are there any places in the Houston/Sprint area that someone can recommend? I wanted to do it myself but am having a hard time finding free time. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-16-07, 10:48 AM
C
Forgot to mention the house is a single story 1,800 sqft.

Old 07-16-07, 07:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
I don't know what painter's wages run in your area. The best way to bid out any job is to get multiple quotes - 3 or more. If the prices are similiar, you know you are paying a fair price. Don't forget to check references. A cheaper painter isn't worth it if he also paints some of your brick

If the going rate is too high for your taste, you might think of planning vacation time to paint instead.

Old 07-17-07, 05:39 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Eventhough it is mostly brick, it is all custom, detailed work. You most likely have around 18 windows and at least 3 doors. You also probably have an overhang that is up around 10 ft off the ground. Its all work from a ladder and it slows down the production. If the widows need to be recaulked or reglazed, find out if they are digging the old out or simply filling the cracks. What kind of landscaping needs to be negotiated around. The nut is, it takes longer than you think to paint a brick house. But as Marksr said, get multiple quotes and references, it will help you get comfortable with the going rates. And nothing looks worse than paint all over the brick.

Old 07-19-07, 10:53 AM
C
I just got quoted $1,530 from another company so I have atleast 1 or 2 more quotes to get.

Old 07-19-07, 11:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Be sure to check references!!

There are some contractors that have a great reputation, stay very busy and don't really need additional work - they are usually higher praiced than the norm. It is good that you are getting more bids, 3 minimum will usually tell you the going rate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: