flakey stucco... what is wrong?

Old 07-20-07, 10:07 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question flakey stucco... what is wrong?

We had our stucco done a few months ago and I'm wondering if there is something wrong with it. It seems soft and crumbly to me.
It is the 16/20 with a color added and was sprayed on. The texture "balls" on the surface see to just fall off when I run my hand over the surface. I'm curious if this normal for the top surface since it was sprayed on or if there is a problem with the application.
Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks.

Old 07-21-07, 11:14 AM
C
It seems appropriate to discuss this with the installer. Stucco should not simply rub off.

Old 07-23-07, 08:50 AM
C
Sounds like either of 2 things, the base coat wasn't properly moistened prior to spray application of the texture, or the mix of the texture wasn't sufficiently wet. Spray on textures need to be extra wet due to the drying effect of being sprayed out of a hand hopper.(I am assuming that was how it was applied here), they also need to be properly built up to a minimum thickness in order to bond properly. I would check the overall thickness of the texture coat and review the application method with the installer. If it's really rubbing off entirely with your hand, it needs to be redone. Was this the lowest bidder? That could explain a lot.
Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: