installing exterior light fixture to Slanted siding

Old 07-22-07, 09:02 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool installing exterior light fixture to Slanted siding

I am trying to install a light fixture for my door entrance and the wood siding is slanted, how do I install so the light fixture is not slanted?

Old 07-23-07, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Since you will have to install an electrical box to attach the fixture to, I would place the box where the light will go, trace around it, and cut out the offending siding so you will be back to the OSB backing. You can, then, attach the pancake box to the OSB, run your wire into it, and place your light, attaching it to the pancake box. It always looks best to place your lighting midway between the bottom of a piece of siding. Not sure why, it just looks balanced. Post back if we can help further.

Old 07-23-07, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
You can also cut out the shape of a square on your siding (such as 5 1/2 x 5 1/2) being careful not to cut too deep, then cut a nice piece of cedar 2x6 that is 5 1/2" long, ease the sharp edges you cut with a sander, prime and paint all 6 sides, and mount it to the sheathing. I usually mount blocks so they are centered on a row of siding- so if the siding has a 4" exposure, a 5 1/2" block would extend 3/4" above and 3/4" below one row of siding. But I suppose the centering is a matter of taste. For the wire, you'd drill a hole through the center of the block, and mount your receptical to that. Since small pieces of wood like that will want to split, you'd probably want to predrill pilot holes in the block and use a trim screw or similar to mount it to the sheathing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: