Residing my home with Vinyl

Old 07-25-07, 05:24 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Residing my home with Vinyl

Hi Everyone,

I have a home that's about 17 yrs old, and has the original synthetic stucco siding on it. We have been in the house a couple of years and recently had some wood rot at one of the window sills. After tearing out the area and seeing the old termite damage and replacing the lumber, we decided it was probably best to look at other siding options.

Two companies who gave us quotes wanted to go directly over the existing stucco as most of the stucco looks to be in decent shape. However two other companies suggested removing the stucco, actually removing the layer of stucco from the original OSB and then vinyl siding the home. I think we're going to go with that option. One company said it would be better to remove it and either replace damaged OSB and any lumber behind it that was damaged as they went along, which sounds like the most sound approach.

It would seem like two weeks of noisy banging and disruption would be worth the peace of mind in getting rid of the current siding and going with something much more durable. We plan to use the Polar Wall vinyl siding product which offers some insulating value, but mainly because it lays very straight and is rigid.

Any thoughts from all the knowledgeable folks about my project?

Old 07-25-07, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
All I can say is "BRAVO!"

Thank God there are some sensible contractors out there who are looking out for the good of you and your home by tearing off the old prior to installing the new.

Just in case you haven't looked into it, you might consider fiber cement siding as an alternative to vinyl. Its a far superior product at a competitive price. Its more durable, is very low maintenance as it holds paint much longer than wood, and it will look good longer than vinyl will. And if the vinyl is not installed properly, there can still be a lot of water infiltration behind windows, which allows water behind the siding. Hopefully that water will always stay on top of the building paper, but it's something to think about.

Old 07-25-07, 06:46 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. We still haven't firmly decided on what type of siding, just that we probably do need to reside it. I'm assuming your talking about Hardi-board siding. We would have to paint it, but like you said it wouldn't be nearly as often as with real wood.

I am wondering if they will actually be able to get the stucco/mesh/foam off of the OSB and reuse the existing OSB, even if it is not damaged. But even with replacing all the OSB it wouldn't be that much more (with Vinyl we are looking at about 19 squares). I guess I worry about other wood and damage we may find, but that's just lumber and labor to do it, so it's probably best to approach the project this way.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 07-25-07 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: