Siding Issues

Old 07-30-07, 08:47 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Siding Issues

We just moved into a 3000 sq ft bungalow 1500 on the main with a 35' x 25' attached garage. The siding is original 1981 aluminum. The original owner tried to paint it and it does not look that good. I am planning on painting the trim doors and maybe the siding. I do have a compressor and spray gun. Should I install new vinyl siding, take down the aluminum add styrofoam then reinstall and paint or just paint the aluminum. The federal government have grants for $900 Can to install 2" styrofoam.

Need some hints from DYI'ers that have some experience with these issues.

Thanks,

F-7

Old 07-31-07, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
I can't advise you on how much of your money to spend

I wouldn't recomend taking down the aluminum with intentions of re installing it. Highly unlikely you could take down more than a small portion without damaging it.

An air powered cup gun [or even 2 gal pressure pot] isn't the right type of sprayer to paint your siding. It won't spray latex well which is the preferred coating for aluminum. It will spray oil base but would be slow going. An airless is the best sprayer for siding. Will a fresh coat of paint alone be enough to fix the paint job? or does the old paint need to be sanded smooth first?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: