Vinyl siding Vs. Hardie Siding

Old 08-04-07, 03:49 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl siding Vs. Hardie Siding

I am a few months from this decision and was looking for some "expert" opinions that I might find here. I think vinyl has changed quite a bit from the last house I owned with it installed (12yrs ago) and I've never had a home with the Hardie product but we are considering it for home we are building.

Our house will be ranch styl w/brick to grade on a sloping lot.

First hand experiences or material knowledge etc. of either productwould be appreciated.

Thanks. FF

Old 08-04-07, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
IMO, working with both products... vinyl is for people who want their house to look better and be low maintenance at a minimal cost.

Many people have a very negative opinion of vinyl and would never consider buying a house with vinyl, due to their concern "what exactly is the vinyl hiding?" They think that vinyl looks cheesy and cheap.

Fiber cement products have a good reputation for holding paint for 15 years or more. I would call that low maintenance. It also installs just about as quickly as vinyl, looks better, gives you the option to change colors later, has less issues with water infiltration, looks better, doesn't cost much more, did I mention it looks better? Oh, and it won't crack if the mower throws a rock at it, or if your weed whacker clips it.

Old 08-04-07, 09:21 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I felt the same way about the vinyl as you mentioned on a house I owned 12 yr ago or so.
I was at a home show a few months back and this company (cant remember which) was touting the "new and improved" thicker product with a solid feel (styrofoam backed). I've never had a house with the hardie board and was looking for pros and cons on both. You make a good point on the potential of color change on the hardie if desired and I wasnt aware of the water issues with vinyl.

Thanks.FF

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: