Can't find 2x2x8 PT pine

Old 08-05-07, 04:56 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't find 2x2x8 PT pine

I am building a swingset and the plans call for seven pieces of 2x2x8 PT pine.
I have called about a dozen lumber yards in my area (eastern MA) and no one carries it. The pieces are to be cut down to size and used on the railing of a ramp (like balusters).

Any suggestions on what to do? I assume that ripping 2x4s would not be a smart choice.

Old 08-05-07, 05:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
It may be a blessing in disguise. Using the longer 2x2's and even cutting your own is not the best idea, as the energy released from cutting your own will surely warp the boards. If your distances aren't more than 42", use precut balusters in the decking section. They have been cut, radius edged and packaged with straps so for the most part they will be straight.

Old 08-05-07, 06:29 PM
Chandler is correct. They come packaged 24 in a package. Good Luck

Old 08-05-07, 08:00 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
FWIW, my local home depot carries 2x2x8 PT boards. If you ask for them, I bet your local places can get them too, they just don't want to order them for no more than you will be buying.

The balusters are an idea, except at 48", you will surely have a seam right in the middle of the swing (can you say splinters!).

Old 08-07-07, 09:00 AM
M
Thanks you all for your help. I may use both the pre-cut balusters and one 2x2x8. Most of the cuts are under 48" but some are longer.

I checked my HD and they do in fact carry the 2x2x8s. I thought for sure that if the lumber yards didn't have them (and most told me they couldn't get them) that HD would not have them. I guess I underestimated HD!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: