2 layers of plank sheathing - hardiplank

Old 08-07-07, 04:01 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 layers of plank sheathing - hardiplank

Hi,

I'm getting ready to reside my house with hardiplank. It is a century home that has 2x5 rough studs, 16" on centre. The sheating is not one, but two layers of horizontal planks that are one inch thick. I'm going to be fastening the hardiplank with screws and the hardiplank installation instructions say to fasten into the studs, which would mean I'd need 3 1/2 inch screws (hardiplank is 5/16 inch, rainscreen strapping is 1/2 inch, then 2 inches of sheathing). That would still only get me half an inch into the studs. What I'm wondering is this:

Is that too much sheathing, should I remove one layer of sheathing before proceeding. Or, should I just leave it as is and go with the longer screws, or should I just leave it as is and anchor into the first or second layer of sheathing. Is it typical for century homes to have sheathing that thick? Could that much sheathing, combined with the weight of the hardiplank cause structural integrity problems?

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-07-07, 02:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
They probably doubled up on the siding offset to prevent air infiltration at the joints. The manufacturer is right in installing it to the studs. I would at least remove one layer of the siding so you can install it normally. Screws may not be your best bet unless you are using stainless steel. Check into the use of spiral siding galvanized nails. The heads are smaller and will set well.

Old 08-07-07, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 902 Votes on 828 Posts
You do not necessarily have to fasten to the studs. Hardiplank's instructions specifically mention that it can be applied to sheathing that is a minimum of 7/16" thick, provided it is nailed 12" O.C. with approved fasteners. Your double layer of sheathing certainly exceeds the minimum! So if I was doing it I'd nail it 16" O.C. just like normal. You're going into solid wood! If you were going over 2" of foam sheathing, that would be a different story.

If I were you, I wouldn't use screws, wouldn't remove any sheathing and wouldn't worry about hitting studs. A standard siding gun with the standard plastic collated Hardiplank coil nails that are 2 3/8" long, galvanized, and ring shanked will work just fine. 2" of solid wood sheathing plus your rain screen battens 16" O.C. will provide plenty of nailing surface. Don't sweat it!

If your sheathing is loose, by all means, screw it down tight before installing your battens and siding. But IMO it would be insanity to use 3 1/2" screws to install your siding.

Old 08-08-07, 07:32 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your advice guys. Yes, 3 1/2" screws didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'll make sure the sheathing is solid and tighten any that are loose. Any reason you guys recommend the nails over the screws other than the time it would save? The screws aren't stainless steel, but are coated with a product called evoguard that is supposed to be extremely corrosion-resistant (which I was told meets the hardie fastener requirements).

Old 08-08-07, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 902 Votes on 828 Posts
Mainly because time is money and siding guns are tremendously faster than screwing screws. You hold the siding with one hand and the gun in the other. Using screws would be a nightmare unless you've either got 2 helpers on each side of you or 3 arms.

Also the James Hardie nails I recommended are compatable and are recommended for use with hardiplank, since they are made and sold by the very same company. And there are many no-name brands that are similar. All siding guns have a depth of drive adjustment to avoid overdriving the nails, which is a very important requirement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: