Prepainted on Primed Haridplank

Old 08-11-07, 03:37 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prepainted on Primed Haridplank

I have found a good installer for Hardiplank. I have about 35 square and am deciding do either use prepainted or just primed. The difference will only be about $50/square or $2,500 approx. I can guarantee I can not paint my house for this amount. How does the prepainted turn out. I am keeping my cedar fascia boards and rough sewn cedar as is and he is going to use Miratec around all the windows and corner boards(the Miratec will need painting but I will have him do only a few windows that are very high and just the tops of any corner boards that my 24' ladder won't reach, therefore I can all the trim myself. He has installed both. I think he would rather do primed b/c you have to be more careful using the prepainted but he said he is fine either way. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-07, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
You are right about needing to be careful with it. Any scuff and scratch will show, and will need to be touched up. When you go to touch it up, you usually will be able to see the area that was touched up- even if the color is an exact match, it may have a slightly different sheen... depending of course on where the paint comes from. Also, not sure how he intends to deal with the joints between pieces- these are often caulked and would also need to be touched up with paint, (other times joints are left uncaulked- either is fine provided flashing is installed behind all joints), face nails would also need to be touched up with paint (if you are blind nailing, the only face nails are under windows, or on the very top row of siding, or sometimes at joints between pieces.) so if the paint doesn't quite match the color or sheen you might wish you had painted the entire thing at once to begin with. Getting the same paint that was originally used is really the key.

If your house has high areas that would be hard to scaffold, then the prepainted is probably worth it. When I worked on my sister's house, we used primed only and painted it afterwards, and it looks great. Some people feel that painting it afterwards gives everything that "freshly painted" look, which they prefer. It does save you some time and labor to have it prepainted but if you go with primed only, it does save you some money.

Old 08-24-07, 09:18 PM
C
I think I am sold on going prepainted on the Hardie. Proabably the Monterry Taupe. Too much to paint my whole house after the fact. I am also going with the prepainted Miratec for the corner, window and trim doors in aztec white. Therefore, all I need to paint is my soffits and fascia which I will ask my installer to paint most of it while he is up on the scaffold anyways.

Big question. When I built an addition last year I used Anderson series 400 casement and picture windows. I used Sandstone exterior because it matched close to the color of my T1-11 siding trim and I used the same color for window, corner boards, soffits and fascia. Basically, excpet for my front door, basement double doors and 2 sets of patio doors the whole house is the same color. I now want to go with white around my Anderson windows that have the sandstone exterior. Will white up against this "clay" color look odd? i will use 1"x4" boards arond the windows afer removing the brick mold that is butted up against the window now. If so, anyway to wrap the vinyl in white aluminum? I hate to do this and would probably either just ignore the sandstone next to the white or not use white trim. Thanks

Old 08-24-07, 09:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
If your Monterey Taupe is close in color to Andersen's Sandtone , it will probably look okay, but it's all a matter of taste.

If you don't mind risking voiding your window warranty, you could also look into painting your windows with a vinyl compatable exterior paint, like Sherwin Williams Duration with VinylSafe Permalast technology, to more closely match your Aztec White window trim.

Old 08-25-07, 06:24 AM
C
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
If your Monterey Taupe is close in color to Andersen's Sandtone , it will probably look okay, but it's all a matter of taste.

If you don't mind risking voiding your window warranty, you could also look into painting your windows with a vinyl compatable exterior paint, like Sherwin Williams Duration with VinylSafe Permalast technology, to more closely match your Aztec White window trim.

Great idea. I could just do the windows on the front (only 5) and not do the rear since we don't have a flat back yard we spend our outdoor time in the side yard and front of the house.