replacement siding?

Old 08-11-07, 06:34 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacement siding?

I want to change the color of the house. Currently we have vinyl siding. I am not a fan, but would use it again if the stars align. What I am looking for is the cheapest, low maintenance, best looking, protective, product to put on the house. Is it clapboards? Cedar? Vinyl? Fiber cement products (I donít even know what these are...saw a post with someone mentioned them!)? What else is out there?
I will be looking to sell the house in 5 years or so...so something that would hold some value would be good. What ideas are out there?
Scott

Old 08-11-07, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
IMO, fiber cement lap siding is far better than vinyl, and the price is fairly competitive. Since fiber cement holds paint very well, it's nearly maintenance free, especially if you go with a high quality paint that has a long warranty. It gives you the option of changing color down the road as well.

I would not hesitiate to recommend fiber cement to anyone. It comes in various widths (exposures) and also in various profiles (to look like cedar shingles, etc.) Cedar siding is great if you can afford it, but it is usually a little higher maintenance.

Old 08-11-07, 05:49 PM
O
more

what about regular wood clapboard? is that cheaper yet? what about quality...is that stuff better than wood? where can i get this other stuff? who makes it? how does it install?

Old 08-11-07, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
Like I mentioned, cedar (or any type of solid wood siding, for that matter) is great if you can afford it. It is *very* expensive. IMO, it does not hold paint as long as fiber cement will. This is because wood is a natural product that can absorb humidity out of the air, as well as suck in water in liquid form. This is the cause of most paint failures, and the main reason why priming and painting all 6 sides of wood trim and siding will result in the longest life of the paint job. Fiber cement is less prone to these changes, so it performs a little better when painted. Its just that some people want the look of real wood and can afford it.

Old 08-12-07, 07:17 PM
O
really? fiber? ok!

i am talking like pine clapboards...that you would paint..those are more expensive than the fiber? if that is the case....who makes this fiber? where can i buy it? i am definately interested!!!!

Old 09-08-07, 09:59 AM
O
does anyone know who makes this fiber cement siding? i am trying to find it...

Old 09-08-07, 10:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
If your main goal is to just change the color of the siding - why not paint it? SWP has a new line of paint formulated especially for vinyl siding allowing you to paint it most any color. Painted vinyl should look good for about 10 yrs.

Old 09-08-07, 10:17 AM
O
yeah i have a lot that needs to be fixed anyway, and it is cheap older stuff...looks like it was put up sloopy...besides that i have put in some differnt windows that are bigger or smaller depending...so it really needs to be re-done...any ideas? pine siding (clapboards)? this fiber stuff?

Old 09-08-07, 10:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
The fiber/cement siding paints well. Check with your local lumber yard for availibilty.

Old 09-08-07, 10:25 AM
M
Lets cut to the chase, you seem to be unsure of cement fiberboard. Porbably because you don't know what it is.

Take a couple of minutes and check out one the leading mfrs site www.hardie.com read the literature

Then take a trip to you local HD, Lowes or lumberyard. They have samples
or request a sample from the mfr.

Every product has its advantages AND disadvantages, and that is also a function of your enviornment. Aluminum dents, Vinyl cracks, heats and sags
(not to mention pollutes the enviornment) wood requires a lot of maintenance
but because of the way its mfr'ed hardieborad or equilivent should hold up
requiring nothing more than paint. (Besides its pre-primed) so painting it is
easy. Repairs ( if necessary) can be done with Bondo.

Hey Good luck

Old 09-08-07, 05:15 PM
O
grat i will check it out!
thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: