Painting Stucco

Old 08-15-07, 11:11 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Stucco

My house was built in 1961. The stucco on it is the original dirty, color dated stucco. I have tried to power wash it twice but it just doesn't seem make a difference. I would love to paint it and change the color but I have heard mixed comments on painting stucco in Minnesota.

My questions is two part. 1. What do you suggest to use as a cleaning agent when I power wash it? 2. Can stucco be painted without worrying about it chipping in a year or two?

Thank you,
jl

Old 08-15-07, 11:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Welcome to the forums

I've never painted stucco in the north but in the south I've never seen paint peel off of properly prepped/painted stucco.

Unless you have a lot of grime or mildew, a simple pressure washing should be fine. Years ago we always thinned the first coat of latex paint for use as a primer but there are a few primers now that are specific for masonary. As always better coatings = better lasting job. I'd suggest going to your local paint store [not dept] to buy your paint - they can better advise you as to which of their products will be best for your job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: