Need to add J-channel to existing vinyl siding...

Old 08-19-07, 09:49 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need to add J-channel to existing vinyl siding...

My sister-in-law is in the process of selling her home. The home was built in 2000 with vinyl siding. A buyer inspection said that the home needed the J-channel installed on the vinyl siding. Apparently none of the homes in the development had the J-channel installed on the vinyl siding. I have been trying to research this issue for her learning that the J-channel is to be installed before the siding. Could not find anything on what to do in adding J-channel after the fact. Any ideas I can share with her? Is this a costly repair? Thanks, Casey

Old 08-19-07, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
J-channel is a trim used to cap the cut ends of vinyl siding around windows, doors, etc. Finish trim can also be used to cap a piece of vinyl siding in places where a j-channel is not sufficient. Some windows have a "built-in" j-channel that receives the vinyl siding. Other times, window trim can be clad in such a way that a j-channel is unnecessary.

Your question does not include enough information to give an accurate reply. Is there a particular location the inspector is concerned about? I have a hard time imagining that an entire housing project was constructed and no j-channel (or alternative method such as was mentioned above) was used.

If you have a photo you'd like to include that depicts an example of one of these areas that "doesn't have j-channel" that your inspector says is needed, I'd like to see it. I'm having a hard time imagining what his beef would be.

Old 08-19-07, 02:44 PM
C
I will give my sister-in-law a call as well as drive over a take a digital photo to post. You are right, more details are needed. Casey

Old 08-22-07, 08:05 AM
C
Update...builder came out checking the work that was done by the sider. There is J-channel used around the windows. Apparently bad info from home inspector. Casey

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: