Cedar Window Trim Protection

Old 08-20-07, 12:29 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cedar Window Trim Protection

We just had nearly all of our windows replaced. The trim around the windows is cedar.

Do we need to do anything to it- treatment wise periodically. It looks quite nice now just concerned over time it will "wash out" or lose its look.

Any thougts?

Old 08-20-07, 03:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Yeah, the cedar will tend to bleach out a little over the years. I would put on a soak in type protectant on them as opposed to a polyurethane type product. It may require you to do it every few years or so, but it will keep it looking rich. Marksr will chime in here shortly and give you the official paint guy kick on this. I'm just a nail driver.

Old 08-20-07, 03:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Most of the waterseals don't protect the color of the wood well although they don't usually change the look of the wood any after application. A product like flood's CWF will darken the colors in the wood and protects well but doesn't weather all that great - protected areas it will last for years but a lot of sun/rain will need recoating yearly. There are also semi-transparent stains that look and wear well. I'd suggest going to your local paint store [not dept] and go over your options with them.

If the wood turns grey with age the color can be brought back by cleaning with a bleach/water solution or a deck/wood brightner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: