Preventing waves in aluminum Fascia

Old 08-27-07, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Preventing waves in aluminum Fascia

I'm in the process of installing new aluminum fascia. This is going onto a 20x20 gable style garage. The left and right sides I'm not as concerned about as they'll be covered by eaves troughs. The peaks on the front and back will be exposed. I finished one gable side, using all the tips I found on this site and recommended from others. I started from one end, worked torwards the other, got my angle cut for the peak right, predrilled slightly bigger holes, only used matching color nails as close to the top as possible and under neath, not on the face, about 2-3 feet apart, only nailed until the nail met the surface, and yet I still get this one wave in the longer fascia pieces(about 10ft long fascia). No matter how I push up against the fascia, the single ripple moves from left to right the whole way between any of the nails. I did this on a colder day so the metal wasn't expanded(about +10C). How normal is it to get something like this? No one else can see it but me.... Hoping drip edge will help hide it? It doeesnt looked buckled, but I know if I put in another couple of nails it will cause buckling. I'm thinking about just leaving this so on hot days it will hopefully PREVENT buckling?...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-07, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
When using the ribbed prebent fascia, it will get ripples like that when one end is pushed higher than the other. Since you mentioned that you started nailing on one end, I can only assume that maybe one side is too tight (too high) and that when you push up the other end you are creating the ripple? This also happens when the underlying wood fascia has a bow in it.

Even when you try your best, fascia will usually have some ripples in it. So if it looked good initially and now has a buckle, it's probably temperature related. The fascia is expanding and getting tight on the nails.

On gable ends where the fascia won't be covered by gutters, I like to use finish trim, nailing that trim onto the top of the wood fascia first and then you tuck the top of the aluminum fascia into it, using a notch tool so that it snaps into the finish trim and won't come out. This way you never use any face nails (not even on the top edge) and the metal can expand and contract freely. The nails on the bottom edge don't create any problems with ripples on the face unless they are driven too tight. When I use that technique, I've always made my own finish trim on a break. Not sure if that's a common accessory or not.

Sometimes some silicone on the back of the fascia works better than face nails, depending on the situation. AT any rate, if your question is whether or not you should add more nails, I'd say no. No amount of nails will take out those types of ripples.

Old 08-27-07, 11:21 AM
Hey buddy, always look forward to your replies. I initially pushed one end higher and when I realized that was creating a ripple, I took it back down and readjusted. Had a way smaller ripple the second time. I'm betting its the wood than, as the angles don't line up the way the should, gaps, etc. I'll know more or less for when I do the other side now.

As for finishing trim first, would have been an excellent idea if the roof+shingles wasnt done first. Wasnt until after that we realized it should have been on first. *sigh* Now I have to slide the L-trim/finish trim under the shingles and put a couple nails that will be exposed.

Old 08-27-07, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
Whats-a-goin-on? If you notice your wood fascia a bow in it, you can always snap a chalkline and cut the bow out by trimming the bottom edge with a skilsaw before you put up the fascia.

The "finish trim" I'm referring to is kind of like a tight fitting j-channel. It almost sounds like you're describing a drip edge? Maybe I can make a mockup and take some pictures of it so that you can see what I mean. I'd never be able to describe it correctly.

But if you need to put in a face nail along the top edge, it usually works best to push up in the middle of the piece, and put one nail on the top edge. Starting in the middle seems to work better for me anyway.

Old 08-27-07, 11:36 AM
Ya, I thought you were talking about drip edge.

Old 08-27-07, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
I bent up a couple pieces this afternoon so that you could see what I was referring to... not that you need to do it this way, but it's a nice way to clip the fascia in without having to nail on the face at all.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thexsleeper/detail?.dir=/6ebbre2&.dnm=bddbre2.jpg

Old 08-27-07, 08:01 PM
Have put up facia both myself and had it professionally done in the last year.

I can guarantee you, the thickness of the facia is the secret. Thin aluminum will buckle and is (in my opinion) impossible to stop from looking rather ugly.

Besides, after a while, if you have anything but a metal roof, stain from shingles will discolor if a white color, and while it will also stain the brown, because of the darker color, its just harder to notice.

The easy solution? Use a thick facia on gables, and use gutter on horizontal runs. This will give you a good looking finished product.

Old 08-27-07, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
I bent up a couple pieces this afternoon so that you could see what I was referring to... not that you need to do it this way, but it's a nice way to clip the fascia in without having to nail on the face at all.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thexsleeper/detail?.dir=/6ebbre2&.dnm=bddbre2.jpg
I like that idea, the only issue that I have on the gables on this particular side is that there is almost a 1 inch gap between the top of the roof OSB+fascia board and the top of the aluminum fascia. It starts at about 1/2 inch at the peak and gets to an inch by the time it reaches the corner. I will take a picture to show this. The aluminum fascia will not go up any tighter, so some part of the framing is off and its too late to correct. Fortunately the drip edge will cover the gap but I will have to have a few discreet nails on the top edge of the face, and one wave. Can't make miracles sometimes, but it'll look better than most of the other garages in the alley. *snicker*

hopro, I will keep thicker fascia in mind if I have to do this again(probably will some day). Makes sense, as the thin stuff bends if you stare at it.

Old 08-28-07, 05:13 PM
XSleeper, here are some pics of what I was trying to explain with the gap as well as the last pic shows the wave I can't work out.

Side View showing gap - http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h82/n0c7/DSCN0415.jpg

Front view -
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h82/n0c7/DSCN0414.jpg

Angle view -
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h82/n0c7/DSCN0416.jpg

Side View showing wave -
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h82/n0c7/DSCN0417.jpg

Old 08-28-07, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Nice pics... you just need one more- looking straight up the bottom edge of the fascia, as if you are sighting down that edge with one eye closed!

I would guess that bottom edge is slightly bowed. Like you said, it's too late to cut it straight with a skilsaw. You could take that piece of fascia down and put a lap joint in the middle, but a guy doesn't want to see a lot of laps in the fascia either. If you've got nails along the top edge, you could always punch them through with a large nail set. That might release the ripple. Then you could push the middle up as high as you want it and renail it... then work out to each end maybe. Not sure what else to suggest!

Old 08-28-07, 09:28 PM
XSleeper, when I did the other side and some of the left and right, I just nailed from the bottom up and they worked perfect. I'm hoping I can try and realign the one side in question, I'm not not sure if the drip edge will hide the nail holes I've made....

Old 08-29-07, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
That sounds good. When you get drip edge (brown, isn't it?) you could ask for 6" d-style drip edge. It will cover more of your fascia edge than 5" d-style will.

Old 08-29-07, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
That sounds good. When you get drip edge (brown, isn't it?) you could ask for 6" d-style drip edge. It will cover more of your fascia edge than 5" d-style will.
I think I have my terms messed up. I'm talking about the aluminum L-trim that is about an inch both ways. It's matching color to the fascia. I'm only putting drip edge on the left and right sides where the eaves are going to be.

Old 08-29-07, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
I see. I've never seen this L-trim you speak of, but I see what you're doing.

Old 08-29-07, 12:30 PM
I guess its simply called roof edge -

http://www.appletonsupply.com/graphics/products/SLE_D%20Roof%20Edge.jpg

Old 08-29-07, 09:46 PM
Hate to say it, but after I punched the nails through and readjusted, it looks perfect. Guess the only bow was in my skillset. Thanks once again XSleeper.

Old 08-31-07, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
That sounds good. At least it was easy to fix! Keep those questions coming!