Slab question; trim @ bottom of siding....

Old 08-28-07, 04:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slab question; trim @ bottom of siding....

4" Slab is poured and stick walls are finally up (21' roof is on, too!!). Painted T1-11 is being used to cover the studs. I was wondering what ideas there are to "trim out" the bottom of the siding - between it and the ground (a space of about 2" - 3")..... I was toying with the idea of maybe using pressure treated 1X6 that was painted first with docking preservative where it touches the ground, then filling up to it with lava rock or pea gravel on top of landscape fabric.....

Ideas? What have you done?...

Thanks ~~~

Old 08-28-07, 05:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
I've always just painted that portion of the slab. It isn't a good idea to have wood [even PT] that close to the ground. The more air space you have under the T-111 the better. The quicker it can dry when it gets wet the longer it will last. Painting the foundation also makes it easier to get some paint on the bottom edge of the siding which further helps to protect it.

Old 08-28-07, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
I agree that leaving the space there to allow drying is preferable. Siding doesn't do well when it's in close proximity to the ground because when it rains, the bottom edge of your siding gets wet and water will wick up the bottom edge / back side of the siding.

If a board was going to be installed along the bottom (like a 1x6 skirt board) 4 or 5" of siding would need to be cut out, and a drip cap flashing would need to get tucked under the siding. The skirt board would then sit under that drip cap, and it would attach to the sheathing and could overlap some of the slab. If you go that route, Azek would be the best material for ground contact since it will not rot, and it can be painted the same color as your siding.

I would NOT recommend simply nailing a skirt board on top of the siding, even if you caulked the top edge, as this would only trap water and prevent drying.

Old 08-29-07, 04:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will leave it dry

Thanks for the replies, guys. Will leave it dry and not install any kind of "trim board".

Cheers, and have a nice weekend; it's finally "down" to 95 degrees here - almost time to drag out a sweater!! ~~~

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: