Cleaning varnish off of vinyl siding

Old 09-03-07, 03:21 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cleaning varnish off of vinyl siding

I've got linen(off-white) vinyl siding for my garage that was on for 3 years before I pulled it off to redo the garage. Just before I pulled it off, someone stained our fence with a dark "clove brown" color. The stain was thinned with paint thinner and it was windy. I can see spots of it on every single piece of siding, from the lowest to highest point and every piece in between. I've tried using paint thinner to remove it, but it just fades it with alot of elbow grease. The problem is the texture on this siding, its very detailed. How can I clean this? Some people recommended pressure washing. Since the siding is off of the garage, I've got a bit more room to work with as I can wash each piece on saw horses or on the ground. I don't want to have to buy an entire new package of siding if I can save the bulk of this.

Old 09-03-07, 03:27 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I never had any luck with mine after I was sloppy staining the deck. The sun and time were the only things that worked.

Old 09-03-07, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Maybe a degreaser and a scrub brush. The problem is any solvent that will easily cut the stain will also disolve the siding

If nothing else works you can paint the siding. Have the paint store match the color in a satin or semi-gloss finish, add about 10-20% emulsa bond to the paint to help with adhesion. Be sure to use a quality paint!!

Old 09-05-07, 09:12 AM
N
If I have to repaint all these pieces, I might as well just buy a new package. Would probably cost almost the same, especially if you factor in the time to repaint and have less than pleasant results, and now the siding becomes maintenance.

I was worried about certain solvents dissolving the siding as well. Doesn't look like too many options at this time.

Old 09-05-07, 05:37 PM
S
Group Moderator
Yeah, I was scared to try anything I thought had a good chance of cutting the stain because I knew it would soften the vinyl.

Old 10-04-07, 07:16 PM
S
Group Moderator
No longer necessary - this post had been in response to one that has been deleted.

Last edited by stickshift; 10-09-07 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-09-07, 11:46 AM
N
Yeah, let us know. I am putting my siding back on this week and still haven't cleaned it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: