Windows, Intergrated J Channels & Hardiplank

Old 09-09-07, 08:22 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows, Intergrated J Channels & Hardiplank

I'm in the process of ripping out the aluminum siding & fiberboard on my townhome and plan to install plywood sheathing, Tyvex, and hardiplank. I've planned to install new construction windows and my installer recommended having the integrated j-channels included on the windows to help divert water and give a clean look to the installed hardiplank.

I believe the windows with integrated j-channels were designed primarily with vinyl siding in mind. I can see where the j-channels would give a clean appearance, however, the hardiplank couldn't be adequately caulked where it sets within the channel. The window has an exterior moulding with the 3/4" deep j-channel integrated and the typical nailing flange that attaches to the sheathing.

My question is would the integrated j-channel cause issues with rain, especially wind driven rains, migrating behind the hardiplank and causing water damage? In this case the hardiplank would set within the j-channel and have no caulking. Would I be better off purchasing a window without the j-channel and just install the hardiplank against the exterior moulding with the appropriate clearance?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-07, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
You are very perceptive. I would never recommend someone to use windows with an integrated j-channel with fiber cement for the exact reasons you mention. A window with a typical nailing fin would be better.

Also, some contractors recommend omitting the window trim because it is faster. Some say it looks "cleaner"... others say it makes the house look "naked". Depends on your point of view. While you alone can make that decision, one point in favor of including some type of window trim (Miratec 1x4 or similar) would be that if and when the window leaks or needs to be replaced, you can simply remove the window trim in order to get the window out. If there is no window trim, then you have to either cut out or remove the siding in order to remove the window. Just something to think about.

Your Tyvek (with a K) should be sealed to the window with a peel and stick window flashing tape. Most flashing tape comes with instructions on how to do this so that your windows won't leak.

Old 09-11-07, 09:46 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I'll follow your recommendations and order the windows without exterior moulding. I'll plan to install my own PVC moulding around the windows after the install to cover the nailing flange. This way any issue that may occur down the road can be addressed by removing the moulding and not interferring with the hardiplank.

Old 09-11-07, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Sounds good. When you go to install it, it will be a good idea to install a drip cap flashing over the top piece of your exterior trim.