Flashing Detail for Hardiplank at Attached Unit

Old 09-15-07, 04:47 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flashing Detail for Hardiplank at Attached Unit

I’m replacing the vinyl siding on my townhome with hardiplank and need some guidance on a flashing detail. My neighbor’s townhome sets back about four feet from the front of my home, therefore, I have an area to the side that requires hardiplank as well. Currently, with the vinyl siding butting up to my neighbor’s home, a j-channel was installed to divert water from their home. With the installation of hardiplank, the use of j-channels would result in water being more easily diverted behind the siding and would likely lead to water infiltrating their home and mine. Is there an alternate flashing detail that should be used with hardiplank or is caulking the gap at their front wall suitable for this installation? Are there special considerations that need to be made with the Tyvek installed beneath the hardiplank?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Old 09-15-07, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 937 Votes on 855 Posts
I assume we are talking about an inside corner from the way you've described it. In that case, your Tyvek will just need to be incorporated into the existing housewrap, assuming there is something in the corner already you will want to leave it intact and overlap the Tyvek over it, then seal the seam with Tyvek tape.

As for the trim detail in the corner, I suppose you are using some sort of 1x4 corner boards such as Miratec or something similar. You could either install a 1x4 in the corner or if that looks too big and bulky, cut it down so that it's smaller (like a 2x2 would be) and put it in the corner first, then the hardiplank will butt into it and the edges will be caulked.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: