Seeking advice- New Stucco craking

Old 09-19-07, 04:50 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Seeking advice- New Stucco craking

Hi

I have expanded the LR/DR by 200 feet. One wall is 30' long. The stucco brown coat has been applied over a Dow Blue board with chicken wire about 6 weeks ago. I see cracks have developed at all windows corners that extend all the way to the top of the wall (from the windows top corners) and all the way to the bottom of the wall (from windows lower corners). ALso, I see cracks between the old stucco and the new brown coat along where the old met the new. I have asked a sales person at the stucco factory and was told to just fill in the cracks before applying the finish coat and also to prevent re occurence, have the stucco person add a butter fly to the windows corners by cutting 8-10 inch strip of the brown coat at 45 degrees and add a metal mesh then brown coat it. My concern is, if the butter fly is being added now by cutting the brown coat, wouldn't it crack along the new seams of the butter fly mesh again? any advice on how to deal with the cracks is appreciated both to cover what exists now and to avoid having it again.

Thanks

Old 09-21-07, 01:30 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We have seen more cracking over the Dow board than the regular white foam. Unfortunately, what you gain in R-Value with the denser blue foam, you also give up some of the resiliancy that helps mitigate cracking. If you were intent on using the blue foam, then you should've installed stucco control joints at the corners of the windows to allow the stresses to dissapate there. You can still saw cut through the brown coat and install them now, before you apply texture. just apply the joints as shown on the product literature and re-apply the brown coat. Allow the new patches to cure properly, keep them wet for at least the first 48 hours after initial set-up. I would strongly suggest an acrylic finish coat, with elastomeric properties, to hide future cracking that may occur.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: