Advantages/Disadvantages of House Wrap

Old 09-24-07, 08:31 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Advantages/Disadvantages of House Wrap

In the process of siding a detached garage. I've noticed that there is quite a variety of opinions in the neighborhood regarding whether or not to use housewrap/tyvek prior to vinyl siding. Most garages that have come up here don't have wrap underneath. I know what the benefits are, but if I don't wrap and directly attach the siding to the sheathing, how long will it take before the sheathing actually rots? I'm in Canada so we experience all 4 seasons to the extreme.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-07, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
If there is no building paper, your sheathing would rot around the windows and doors- especially below windows- where water can run off the ends of your j-channels. You don't need to blow your money on Tyvek for a garage. #15 felt would work fine. You should always have SOME type of building paper behind siding, so as to protect your sheathing. At a minimum, use felt!

To prevent a lot of water from getting behind the siding in the first place, you can direct water that runs down side j-channels out toward the weep holes in your siding by adding a piece of aluminum trim coil (about 16" wide) under your j-channels as your siding approaches the window. It should be long enough to just cover up the nails of that row of siding below.

Old 09-25-07, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Advantages - you heard 'em. Disadvantages - zero

Old 09-25-07, 05:57 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
You'll regret it down the road if you don't wrap.

Old 09-25-07, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sheathing, wrap, siding. That is the order of things.

Old 09-26-07, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We did (note the past tense) not have wrap on one side of our 15 year old house underneath solid wood siding. I had to replace a 4x4 section of sheathing due to water damage - I could poke my little finger right through the wood. We Tyveked as much as possible now that we have to replace a majority of the siding and I sleep easier because of it.

None of the sheathing under the house wrap that was on the other sides of the house was damaged in any way.

We are in the foothills of Colorado - four distinct seasons, maybe the winters aren't as cold, but we get plenty of snow that doesn't melt til April or May and summers are hot.

Old 10-15-07, 07:37 AM
N
I ended up wrapping it. I used Typar instead, with taxes it was about $100 CDN. Only took a day to do and still had lots left over. I also decided that since I had ripped off the siding and it left a billon holes in the shealthing, it probably would be a good idea to wrap it as well.

Old 10-15-07, 04:00 PM
Why would you use a garden weed deterrent instead of what we suggested you use? I sure hope you can remove it and put up Tyvek. You just wasted your $100. Sorry.

Old 10-15-07, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Typar does make some landscaping products, but I think (hope) he was using their housewrap.

Image credit: Typar.com and Fiberweb

Old 10-15-07, 06:54 PM
Well, kiss my grits. Glad to know this. I have only used the black typar product in landscaping. My apologies to the OP. Sometimes we get bent if cutting costs results in an inferior installation. Thanks again, Terry.

Old 10-15-07, 08:04 PM
N
Hehe, yes its housewrap.