Best primer for bare cedar siding?

Old 09-26-07, 11:20 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best primer for bare cedar siding?

Hello-
I'm attempting to restore the red cedar siding of my house- it is about 30 years old and has probably never been treated, and if I don't do something soon it will all be toast. I plan using a full color stain after cleaning and priming the surface.

I have heard that Benjamin Moore's Fresh Start primer is great stuff. Then I checked the price. Yikes! Almost $40 a gal.

I know you get what you pay for and I don't want to skimp, but are there other primers that are equally good? Maybe Behr, Olympic, Cabot's, Glidden, etc.

Thanks in advance for your priceless advice!!

Jano

Old 09-27-07, 05:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Generally you don't need primer under a solid stain. Primer is usually only needed under latex stain in light colors. I seldom use BM paints but with SWP I'd use their A-100 oil base wood primer - I don't know what the retail price is but it is probably close to BM price. You may get a better price if you buy both primer and stain from the same paint store - doesn't hurt to ask

Old 09-27-07, 12:04 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help- I was under the impression that I needed a primer to repel the weather and sun damage.

Will a solid stain alone protect from the elements, especially since I have some small (1/8") gaps between shakes?

Thanks again!

jano

Old 09-27-07, 12:59 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Clean it up well and a solid body stain should be all you need. Don't buy cheap stuff - go to a paint store, not a paint department.

Old 09-27-07, 02:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Both stain and paint will repell moisture but neither will protect the edges of the shingles unless they are covered with the coating. All exterior grade stains have water proofing properties.

The main reason for using a primer with a latex stain is if the color is such that if there is any tannin bleeding it will show thru the stain. The primer will seal in the tannins preventing them from bleeding thru the stain. Not a problem with the darker stains as any tannins that do bleed won't show.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: