Semi-Transparent Stain on Siding color problems

Old 09-29-07, 03:25 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Semi-Transparent Stain on Siding color problems

Help! We just built a new home with cedar siding on the front.
We are in a harsh climate with winter coming soon so we wanted to put on semi-transparent stain for protection. We have made 2 attempts to get the right color, attempting to match our siding which is a warm muddy gray brown. Unfortunately none of these has worked out at all. The first stain looked white and the other is dark gray looking. Not what we thought it would look like and my husband doesn't stop when things don't go right, he just wants to get it done. So now I have one face of the house that has white with gray on top and some area of just gray and all look terrible. Can we continue to put on a new colors over the old? Maybe 2 coats of semi in the right color would mask out the other colors? I want to go back to the brown tones to keep the natural wood color at least. Frustrating!

Old 09-29-07, 04:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It is difficult to do a lot of color changes with semi-transparent stain - especially over fresh stain. Sooner or later multiple coats of semi-transparent will loose it's transparent qualities.

Unless you want to switch to a solid stain it might be best to let it weather until spring and then try to get the color/tone right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: