Vinyl Siding corners on bay window

Old 10-02-07, 01:54 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Vinyl Siding corners on bay window

My daughter and her husband are installing siding on a bay windows on my deck. The problem is that the corner pieces stick out and make the window look deformed. Is there a trick to installing it so that the corner pieces lay corectly? Please I need help asap as they will only be here for another day, before they go back to GA. Waiting in Nashville! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-07, 03:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You would be better off to flash the corner completely from top to bottom on the edges and use back to back j channel, since the corner blocks are 90 degrees and you need only 45 degrees total (22 1/2 per turn). Not sure, but you can check with your siding distributor and see if they have a 45 degree corner block (inside and outside). I have never used one, but new stuff comes out every day to solve problems.

Old 10-03-07, 01:45 AM
S
Vinyl siding on a bay window

If I understand you correctly:
-You have a bay window with siding above and/or below the bay window that you are attempting to install corner posts on?
-The normal 90 degree corner posts are not laying correctly?

This is a pretty common thing that vinyl siding installers must deal with.

On using standard corners, you must work the 90 degree angle out to a 45 (or less) degree angle or the corners will concave and look terrible (in my opinion).
How you do this is:
1) place the corner post (nailing fin side down) on a flat surface (like the floor of a garage - something reasonably smooth so the nailing fins will slide)
2) take a cloth or soft rag and work the 90 degree bend out. Do this gently as to not crease the corner post.
3) work the cloth firmly up and down the corner post (by pressing firmly down) to get an even angle all the way down the corner post.
*) essentially you will be slowly flattening the corner post but it's memory of the 90 degree angle will return it to your desired angle. Start slowly so you don't crease or over bend the corner post.

One last thing, if it's too cold outside you may need to heat the corner post up with a blow dryer or a heat gun (on low). Vinyl siding doesn't like to be worked into new shapes when it's cold. I mention this because I don't know where you are located or who else might be reading this down the road.

I hope that makes sense. It's kind of hard to explain although I've personally done it a ga-zillion times.

Cheers... hope it turns out GREAT!!!

Last edited by twelvepole; 10-03-07 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Advertising Links Removed
Old 10-03-07, 04:26 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Robert: thanks for the insight on the corner post modification. I have a question. Once you take the 90 degrees out of the main part of the corner, what do you do with the nailing fins that are now set at 135 degrees in the wrong direction. Maybe you addressed it, and I didn't catch it. Maybe you could start manufacturing a bay window corner bead.

Old 10-07-07, 05:40 PM
X
I would never but J- Channel together on a bay . It looks horrible... I also never use outside cornerposts. Looks worse. I have found they look the best if you take an inside cornerpost and run a fresh razor blade on the inside of it.Do this very lightly so when you fold it back it wont break on you. Then bend the nail fins out and install that directly in the outside corner of the bay. After that take two pieces of J-channel and butt it to both sides of the corner you put on and nail. Looks similiar to a beaded outside corner when you are finished. Try it out and I'm sure you will be happy with the end result