stucco

Old 10-04-07, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stucco

my wife and I are building a ranch home. We are planning on using stucco. What if any should be on the first layer over the osb sheathing. The stucco guy says nothing is needed. I want to prtect it from moisture. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-07, 06:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm sure he plans to install roofing felt under the wire lath, nothing else is needed although some will use stryrofoam for added insulation.

Old 10-09-07, 09:29 AM
You didn't say if the entire house is sheathed with OSB. If it is then the stucco guy is trying to cheapen the installation at your expense. There should be foam under all the stucco, whether 1" or 1/2", and all the OSB should be installed with 1/8" to 3/16" gaps at the edges to allow for expansion & contraction. If the stucco guy wants to delete the foam, get another subcontractor.

Old 02-12-08, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by cueball1914 View Post
You didn't say if the entire house is sheathed with OSB. If it is then the stucco guy is trying to cheapen the installation at your expense. There should be foam under all the stucco, whether 1" or 1/2", and all the OSB should be installed with 1/8" to 3/16" gaps at the edges to allow for expansion & contraction. If the stucco guy wants to delete the foam, get another subcontractor.
foam is completely unnecessary.

Roofing paper with wire over top is the bare minimum. You could go to tyvek for a better R value.

Old 02-12-08, 04:26 PM
There are several different stucco systems. If it is three coat cementious, then no foam is needed or desired. It is: OSB, felt/building paper, lath, base coat, scratchcoat, finish coat.

If it is EIFS, then there are many ways to do it, but all will involve foam and an acrylic finish coat. If it is over wood (which you say it is), then you will have to check local codes as EIFS is not allowed over wood in many jurisdictions.