PVC or other artificial trim?

Old 10-04-07, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PVC or other artificial trim?

I have to replace about 34' of 8" trim boards front and back on the house (New England) and one contractor recommended artificial boards, such as Kleer. They're pretty new (3 years?) so can't have much of a track record. Does anyone have tips or suggestions?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-07, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
Kleer, which I have not used... looks and sounds identical to Azek, which I have used. It's a nice product that can be cut, routered, sanded, nailed, etc. just like wood. Azek recommends you use their PVC glue where pieces lap or intersect. I suppose Kleer has something similar.

It makes nasty static-cling dust when you rip it on the table saw, eventually gums up your blades, and it costs a lot... these are the only negatives I have noticed. Belt sanding cut edges eliminates marks from the saw blade, just like wood. I like it.

Old 10-04-07, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! There are smaller 2" trim boards along on top of the 8" board which seem to be okay. Is it all right to nail regular wood on top of a composite like Azek. Kleer specifies installation steps to handle expansion and contraction, which seems fairly minimal. Does Azek have the same requirements?

Old 10-04-07, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
I have not heard of any special requirements or limitations with Azek. But I might not be informed.