Painting aluminum siding

Old 10-05-07, 09:00 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Painting aluminum siding

Hi, I have aluminum siding and am looking to update the appearance of my house. Is it possible to paint the aluminum and, if so, are there any particular tips in relation to priming, etc, that I should be aware of. Incidentally, I live in Ontario so the extremes of weather weather will be a big factor.

Old 10-05-07, 02:47 PM
M
Aluminum Siding is a very easy to paint and does not require
any special preparation except to clean it thoroughly.

The original paint on the siding was designed to chaulk with weathering. In theory, it was expected to help keep the aluminum looking better longer by "pushing" the dirt and partical build up off of the surface. Take your finger and run across a panel and you'll probably end up with a powdery
substance on your finger. Well, its paint (mixed in with the dirt).

Before painting you will want to power wash, removing any dirt and powder. Then apply a good metal primer and paint with a good exterior paint preferably with a UV protectorant.

Your aluminum should look like new and should stay looking new for a reasonable time to come.

Do yourself a favor, even though aluminum is "maintenance free" it will last longer and require less maintenance if you keep it clean. I would pressure wash at least 2 times a year.

Its worth the effort.

Old 10-05-07, 04:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As already mentioned the alum needs to be clean prior to painting! Paint will not stick to chalk. The odds are you won't be successfull in removing all the chalk. Adding emulsa bond to the first coat of latex paint/primer will help it to adhere well. Skip the emulsa bond if you use an oil base primer.

Always use a premium line of paint! Paint on aluminum can last a long time so you don't want to repaint sooner than neccesary I usually spray the paint without a primer - just 1 coat with emulsa bond added. One house I did back in '93 or '94 still looks decent when you drive by about 35 mph

While it is nice to keep the paint clean, I wouldn't neccesarily recomend doing so once or twice a year. Every couple of years should be fine BUT let the condition of the paint be the deciding factor. If you have areas that attract mildew - those areas may need cleaning more frequently. You can add extra mildewcide to the paint if you know it to be a problem.

I probably ought to add - use care with the pressure washer - too much pressure can damage the siding [not likely] but mostly it can force water behind the siding especially if the spray is angled wrong.

Old 10-05-07, 07:44 PM
C
Thumbs up Painting aluminum siding

Thanks guys. By the way, nice Smilies!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: