Aluminum/vinyl capping versus PVC

Old 10-08-07, 01:41 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aluminum/vinyl capping versus PVC

I've got a lot of wood rot on my soffits and facia that I need to have repaired. Some people at work have said that I should replace the wood with PVC, since it won't rot. However, others have suggested that I put capping over either new wood or the (good) existing lumber. Any suggestions? Are there any severe drawbacks to either product? Can the capping come "loose" in the future?

Thanks for the advice.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-07, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Yes, vinyl and aluminum can blow off, and sometimes does if it is poorly installed. But normally it's not a problem. Aluminum fascia will dent if you have hail, but thats what we have insurance for. You can certainly cover your good wood with aluminum (I'm not a fan of vinyl soffit and fascia) if you'd like. Rotton wood can be replaced or covered up, depending on how bad it is. Usually you want to replace it so that it will hold nails.

If you want to continue painting your soffit and fascia because you like the look of wood... or want to be able to have the option to change paint colors, then by all means replace your wood and continue to paint.

Unless your ship has recently come in, I don't think you'd want to replace all your fascia with PVC. It's kind of pricy. But it's true that it won't rot, if you never want to replace those pieces again for a loooong time.

Old 10-08-07, 08:31 PM
H
I've done both on different houses.

I prefer aluminum because you can clean it forever, whereas vinyl can discolor over time.

Might I suggest that if you have a shingle roof, the facia will never look good since dirt and grime from the roof will keep making streaks. The only solution is adding gutters.

The other thing you should know is checking the aluminum gauge of the metal. The heavier the better to a point. I guess a minimum of 25 ga. is good, but like I mentioned, I wouldn't much care since I would cover all but the gables with gutters.

Definitely repair the wood. Get whoever is doing it for you to give you costs based on sq. ft repaired or per foot of the facia , otherwise you open your wallet and let them jump in at their leisure.

One house we repaired last year had about 20% of the sheathing and 1/2 of the facia needing replacement.

Good Luck

Old 10-09-07, 03:59 PM
B
Thanks!

XSleeper and hopro:

Thank you both for your help. It seems to me that both PVC and aluminum/vinyl capping are reasonable options, but that the aluminum/vinyl capping might be a tad easier to maintain (no painting and easy to wash clean). One contractor did admit that the aluminum/vinyl capping may fade slightly over time, but said it would be gradual (would you expect him to say anything different?) From my perspective, as long as it's uniform across the area, then I can probably live with it.

One last question: any idea what a fair price per linear foot might be? Assuming the boards are 1 x 10.

Thanks again.

Mark

Old 10-09-07, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Not sure if you are asking about capping the fascia only, or the soffit as well.

Soffit prices are calculated by the sq ft of soffit needing to be covered, as well as the difficulty of the installation. The same might be said for the fascia to some extent.

So if your soffits are 2' wide, it would cost twice as much in materials than soffits that are only 12" wide. Get the idea?

Old 10-09-07, 06:52 PM
B
Thanks again.

The contractor didn't even mention doing one or the other, but only mentioned both, as well as some decorative dental molding that lies just underneath. I guess I was just looking for a warm fuzzy on the ballpark figure, but I realize that's not easy to tell without knowing more about exactly what and how much would be replaced. Maybe I'll just ask what it comes down to per square foot, so I can make a comparison between bids.

Thanks again.

Mark

Old 10-09-07, 08:03 PM
H
I was charged $2.50 per sq ft or running foot (facia).

Perhaps I should mention one other sticky point that happened to someone.

They got a "unlicensed" fellow to do it on a "weekend job", the guy fell from the roof and is suing the homeowner.

Another issue you should be aware of is permitting. It may seem like a lot to go through, but think of it like an insurance policy. If something goes wrong and you need small claims court to litigate your problem, no one will talk to you if no permit was issued.