nail spots on vinyl siding

Old 10-09-07, 03:16 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question nail spots on vinyl siding

We have a light vinyl siding that is about 5 or 6 years old. This summer we have noticed large "polka dots" on the rear siding. We think the dark spots are where the nails are underneath the siding. Is there anything we can do to eliminate these, short of replacing the siding?

Old 10-09-07, 03:31 PM
I have never heard of such a thing. When vinyl siding is nailed on, and the next layer clipped on, it would be almost impossible for the nails to touch the siding. The nails are probably galvanized nails, and would not bleed through anyway. But if fan fold was put on before the siding, there is a chance that that it might be those nail heads, but they are small heads. I really think that it is something else, otherwise it would all over your house and not just on one side.

Old 10-09-07, 03:53 PM
T
Dark Spots on Siding

Is there a pattern to the spots, as in a row of nails? Or, are the spots scattered? Could they be artillery fungus?

Artillery fungus spore packets stuck on the vinyl siding of a house. (provided by the Plant Disease Diagnostic Clinic, Cornell University.)

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactS...leryfungus.htm

Mildew can appear as gray, black, or brown spots on vinyl siding. Insects can also leave spots on siding.

Old 10-09-07, 04:33 PM
K
yes - there is definitely a pattern and the crazy thing is it seems to be less noticeable when it's cooler outside. It's not any sort of mold or fungus - it's more like a dark shaded large polka dot.

Old 10-09-07, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
If all the nails are along the same line of sight, near the bottom edge of a row of siding, you are probably noticing roofing nails that have been under-driven. If you run your hand over the dot, and you feel a bump, that's the roofing nails. Morning dew will condense and evaporate daily on these spots and will eventually cause a pattern on the siding.

Try scrubbing one of these spots and the surrounding siding with some Zud or Comet, then report back and tell us if the spots are gone, and if you can feel the "bump" of a nail back there.

Old 10-10-07, 06:49 PM
K
yes, those I can reach have less give to the siding than where there is no spot. Thank you So much - I'll try the cleanser tomorrow. I was so afraid that the siding had to be replaced and we have no idea where it came from or who installed it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: